possible pumpkin substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
I have been thinking of making a pumpkin brew for a long time now and I think I am ready to take the plunge. Right now pumpkin isn't exactly easy to find and from what I read canned pumpkin is just evil. I was thinking I have had sweet potato pie that tasted a lot like pumpkin pie. Is this a possible substitute?

i have used canned pumpkin in a pumpkin beer and it came out wonderfully! just toss a ton of rice hulls in the mash and your fine.

The trick to Pumpkin beer is the spices like nutmeg found in pumpkin pie. The pumpkin itself doesn't add hardly any flavor to the beer that a normal person associates w/ Pumpkin.

So like Chello is saying, I'd suggest getting some Canned Pumpkin or pumpkin pie mix like Libby's. But like I said, the trick is the spices you add -- not the pumpkin itself.

would you care to offer a recipe? I do not brew AG just extracts.

I've had RichBrewer's pumpkin ale, and it was very good, I liked it because it was not in your face spice and pumpkin. All I have is the AG recipe, I am sure someone could give you an amount of extract to replace the grains.

Batch size: 6.25 Gal = 5 gal keged
9.5# 2-row
2# Munich
2.5# Maple syrup
0.5# 40L Chrystal

0.75oz Northern Brewer at 60 min
1oz EKG at 30 Min

2 Large cans of Pumpkin (3.63#) In the boil and as much as possible into the fermenter.
2.5 teaspoons cinnamon
1.5 teaspoons Nutmeg
1.5 teaspoons Allspice
Irish moss

Safale 56 (Chino)

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.012

The beer was a few months old when I tasted it, and I think that may be key with a pumpkin beer.

Luck

I spent all that time typing, and here it is: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/richards-pumpkin-ale-23489/

In the spices section of your local grocery store you will find "pumpkin pie" spice. You could just as easily do an extract brew, a simple pale ale or maybe something with a little more color and just add the "pumpkin pie" spice.

If you want to go the AG route, again, a simple brew,and if you must, throw in a large can (not institutional) of pumpkin pie filling in the mash. You would probably want to test taste at the end of the boil and decide if or how much spice you want in it.

Good luck,

Back