poor yield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSpunge

Reaction score
I live in western ny and my hops did crappy this year. We've had lots of heat and little rain. But i kept everything watered well. I would have thought with plenty of water and lots of sun they woulda been boomin. Just woundering if anyone else in same area has experienced the same this year? I have - northern brewer. Cascade. Willamete. And centennial. All planted 5 years ago.

Did you use some sort of fertilizer? Have they produced cones yet? How does this year compare to others?

I think it is still fairly early in the year to be counting your chickens. My plants just began producing burrs.

Ya. The usual couple bags off shroom compost. Worm poop tea. They are deffinatly way less bushy ontop. I pulled an ounce or so off a n. Brewer vine already and the cones were ripe but small compared to thier usual size. But your rite. Everything else is just gettin burrs. Just the tops of all the plants are not the usual jungle ontop. Oh well we will see.. Piece out...

The entire nation is at or near drought. My hops (the ones that are growing) have just reached 13'. I'll be surprised if they produce at all this year. Like the real farmers, we should expect a terrible year.

I probably live in the same latitude as you and also have had lots of heatbut my plants have done well. I think we have had over twenty 90* and three or four 100* days but I have managed to keep my 40 plants well watered and sprayed (jap. beetles are hell this year). My 20 second year cascades (from Homercidal) are absolutely loaded with cones. My 20 first year chinook and columbus (one is over 18') are doing well also. I should get a small crop from them.
I would not be in this good of shape if I wasn't able to water as it has been terribly dry.

lack of water(in the rain form) and extreme heat will do that. rdwhahb at least you will get some harvest. something is better than nothing.

No evil ching-chong beetles this year yet thank god. 2 years ago they came through my yard and destroyed my fruit trees and most my hop plants. i usually water the ground around the hops all the time . Because i read somewere it prevents mildew or somthin along those lines. I think the next time theres a severe heat drought im going to water the whole plant leaves and all when i water. Is that a bad idea or a good idea?

It's not a good idea to water the foliage. It's better to soil drench because you don't want or need the hassles of disease setting in. Wet foliage promotes disease.

A good periodic soaking of the root ball helps the plant transpire water especially during hot weather. If you have a heavy soil (low oxygen) make sure it somewhat dries out before you soak it again. You really need to know your soil type so you aren't watering too much which is just as bad as watering too little.

Ok . I'll keep waterin the ground around them then. Thanks for the info....

I probably live in the same latitude as you and also have had lots of heatbut my plants have done well. I think we have had over twenty 90* and three or four 100* days but I have managed to keep my 40 plants well watered and sprayed (jap. beetles are hell this year). My 20 second year cascades (from Homercidal) are absolutely loaded with cones. My 20 first year chinook and columbus (one is over 18') are doing well also. I should get a small crop from them.
I would not be in this good of shape if I wasn't able to water as it has been terribly dry.

I am an hour north or so in Saginaw, MI. All of my hops, Centennial, Cascade, Chinook and Zues are loaded with burrs.

Do you think I will see a harvest this year?

Back