Poll: Do you have, or plan to get, an electric car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have an electric car or plan to get one?

• Yes

• No

• I plan to

• Over my dead body

Results are only viewable after voting.
EVs are no longer much of a debate.

Every anti- talking point has been thoroughly debunked.

Of course they don’t work for everyone for various reasons, those being valid. But most often, anti-‘s come firing in with all the typical old info, lies, and political ideology.

Last edited:
yep, if an EV doesn't work for you ... spin on and have a great day. no need to fire shots in hopes of lighting a flame war. same for an ICE hate type of post ... spin on, please.

I have appreciated the true discussion on merits, pitfalls, how the tech is improving, and where there's still significant room to improve.

earlier this afternoon I was thinking (gasp!) while driving my ICE SUV up the local Interstate on the way home from a local mom-n-pop butcher shop ... what a different world it was 125 years ago. what if the anti automobile people had won out, and we still relied upon horses, oxen, and trains for all of our commuting needs. how different North America and elsewhere would look and have been developed, and how limited our food production capabilities would still be. I'm thankful that modern tech won out on those difficult pioneering debates, and that the infrastructure to support that tech developed into the common infrastructure we relay upon (and often take for granted) today

I think I have stated a couple times that I'm not in this particular thread to demand anyone immediately go trade for an EV. I do encourage people to assess what they actually do with their vehicles, look at what current EVs are capable of, and not get hung up on outlier scenarios.

And, being a PHEV driver, I am going to dispell some myths when I have a chance.

Cybertruck deliveries have started and the "final" specs are out. Highlights: $61K for the base single motor RWD model, ~$80K for the presumably dual motor AWD model, and ~$100K for the tri-motor premium "Cyberbeast" model. Mileage ranges from 250 for the base model to 320 for Cyberbeast....

https://www.wired.com/story/teslas-cybertruck-price-61000-specs/
Cheers!

Target Cybertruck customer:

1701393081330.png

Target Cybertruck customer:

View attachment 835257

Not me in that demographic. I’ll continue to lust after the F-150 Lightning, or maybe the new Ram hybrid that my son wants to trade in his present Ram for. But I’ll probably be more realistic and wish for a Volvo EV instead. Hate to say it, but my pickup days have left me in the dust.

My best friend has a Volvo reservation pending, whatever the big one is that's coming sometime next year. My cousin just got the Mercedes EQE 350.

My next EV will be a Rivian pickup if the company remains healthy. I'd do it now but these interest rates are just ridiculous. My Tesla is at 2.75% and nearly paid off.

My best friend has a Volvo reservation pending, whatever the big one is that's coming sometime next year. My cousin just got the Mercedes EQE 350.

My next EV will be a Rivian pickup if the company remains healthy. I'd do it now but these interest rates are just ridiculous. My Tesla is at 2.75% and nearly paid off.
This is why I’m contemplating doing a lease takeover when we transform to a two car household. Try to ride out the storm (or wait to inherit my partner’s Model Y when she decides she has to upgrade)

I was between the f150 lighting and the 3.5 v6. I ended up with the v6 because I pull a trailer to client 340 miles away several times a year. I was thinking I could rent a box truck for those trips but figured the extra steps and time of getting a rental were not worth it for me. I am pretty sure the next car I buy will be electric. A neighbor has the RIVIAN. That thing is BEAUTIFUL!

I'm definitely interested in how the cyber truck does, if it flops or sells in the millions. And who it sells to.

I've owned a truck in the past, it was quite useful, but at this point I'd need a 4th garage space for one. As for the cyber truck I find it gigantic, heavy, ugly, and it's about the least interesting vehicle on the market I can possibly think of owning.

Yeah, I have to say that I don't really get the cyber truck. Maybe that just means that I'm an old fart. Then again, we were talking about it over Thanksgiving and my son's only comment was "$@#% the cyber truck."

The EV I'd really want would be a compact SUV with AWD and range around 300 miles, maybe a touch under. The AWD (and some actual ground clearance) is because my wife has to get to work in pretty much any weather and the close to 300 mile range is for day trips to visit said son without having to worry about charging.

The EV I'd really want would be a compact SUV with AWD and range around 300 miles, maybe a touch under. The AWD (and some actual ground clearance) is because my wife has to get to work in pretty much any weather and the close to 300 mile range is for day trips to visit said son without having to worry about charging.
Model Y

Yeah, I have to say that I don't really get the cyber truck. Maybe that just means that I'm an old fart. Then again, we were talking about it over Thanksgiving and my son's only comment was "$@#% the cyber truck."

Hyundai Ioniq 5 looks like a really good option, if you can get over the plastic Blade Runner-esque styling. Edmunds raves about it. I saw a video where they were bringing the Model Y into their long-term fleet and compared it to the Ioniq 5 and one other vehicle (Chevy Blazer EV IIRC) and they still like the Hyundai more than either of those other two.

Check this out...

This was exactly the video that made me think of that prospective CyberTruck buyer...

Acceleration is nice. But honestly, is a 0-60 time of 2.6s and a sub-11s quarter mile something that I really care about in a pickup truck?

And then I started thinking about who that appeals to, and google image searched "zubaz pants fanny pack" because it seems like that's the guy.

I've got no personal interest in the CyberTruck - too big, heavy, expensive, and Musky. But I do appreciate the effort to break free from styling conventions. The success of such aesthetic decisions is very much in the eye of the beholder, and many find it ugly AF; but at least it doesn't look like just another pickup.

EVs are no longer much of a debate.

Every anti- talking point has been thoroughly debunked.

Of course they don’t work for everyone for various reasons, those being valid. But most often, anti-‘s come firing in with all the typical old info, lies, and political ideology.
yeah, just ask 1,000 Buick dealers.

It was all to do with the costs of EV transition.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you spoke with each of those dealerships and looked over their sales for the past decade, how they handled the chip shortage, the population growth and decline within a 1-hour drive of their location, the changes in household income in that 1-hour vicinity, the age of the dealership owners, etc, etc.

There are plenty of reasons a dealership might be having trouble right now, and this buyout could look like an easy remedy for dealership owners who wanted to close anyway.

Ironically, the BEV biz looks to be in precarious position right now with an unassured future...
How so? EV sales as percentage of overall market has risen every single quarter for over 2 years.

Inventory caught up to demand, maybe even surpassed it. This happens to every product at some point, especially new ones that are being figured out.

I have no clue why that poster thinks that Buick is indicative of anything. We’ve seen many brands put out inferior evs. Unfortunately, Tesla can’t build them all. 😉

l didn’t even know Buick makes one.

Unfortunately, Tesla can’t build them all.

GM does a pretty good job, too. I was so pleased with my Volt that I recently dropped the PH from PHEV and got a Bolt.

And it sounds like next year there will be a CCS to NACS adapter, so if I want to use superchargers, it won't be long.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you spoke with each of those dealerships and looked over their sales for the past decade, how they handled the chip shortage, the population growth and decline within a 1-hour drive of their location, the changes in household income in that 1-hour vicinity, the age of the dealership owners, etc, etc.
There are plenty of reasons a dealership might be having trouble right now, and this buyout could look like an easy remedy for dealership owners who wanted to close anyway.
Was cited in multiple articles.
https://www.minnpost.com/environmen...s-challenging-for-minnesota-transit-agencies/
Many more problems for EVs than the rose tinted crew here religiously believes.

Latest posts

Back