Poll: Do you have, or plan to get, an electric car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Do you have an electric car or plan to get one?

• Yes

• No

• I plan to

• Over my dead body

Results are only viewable after voting.

betarhoalphadelta

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thought you were on a strict plan, no new to you vehicles for at least a few years.

Oh, this is still a few years out. She wanted to replace her RX eventually with another "RX" type vehicle, and this might fit the bill in 3-5 years.

It'd be "new to her". She may not let him drive it ;)

I can drive her RX whenever I want.

I ask her when I'm allowed to want to 😂

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not going to link to the articles that I'm finding that discuss this, because most are attributing it to certain politicians and political entities that I don't want to talk about here.

But it sounds like there is a big government push to get EV charging stations along federal highways, within certain intervals (I'm reading every 50 miles or less). I don't know if it will end up being every 50 miles, but if this pans out, it's a big step.

Hopefully they're smart enough to find places with something for people to do besides sit in their vehicles.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
It only takes a moment to realize "scale" is a huge problem - wrt chargers v. EV adoption.
Even now where EV adoption is embryonic there is a bigly problem just keeping existing chargers viable.
For some &%#*@! there are tiny _____ troglodytes that trash chargers on a regular basis...

Kent88

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I've had to work around a defective charger once in the past few years of owning a PHEV. And what I had to do was move over to the next space.

Not saying that it isn't an issue, but it isn't one that's been a problem for me.

TwistedGray

El Jefe Brewing Company
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There are a few stations here in California that have had their charging cables cut and stolen, multiple multiple times!! A federal charging infrastructure would not only be welcomed, but needed ONLY IF manufacturers don't' install stations themselves and rely on third parties.

What I hope would happen is that dealers will install 1-2-4 stations at each dealership around the nation. If that happened, incentivized by the manufacturer or Feds or whoever, that would be a BIG WIN for charging stations and EV's in general (in my opinion).

Kent88

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd really like to see the government look at businesses near highway on/off ramps where people usually can spend lots of time but aren't necessarily obligated to spend lots of money. Park-and-ride lots, parks (climate permitting), malls, movie theaters, libraries, restaurants, etc. Hotels are an interesting situation, it just makes sense to me that hotels should find an existing charging network to partner with, as there is probably some demand already for charging at hotels.

It wonder if any gas stations are already looking at what people will want from a charging station station. People are going to have to leave their vehicle parked in a spot for some time, and of course you want to be ready for the least comfortable weather your area has to offer. Until charging speeds improve, we need spaces for people to rest with low pressure to buy anything and some means for people to entertain themselves.

SanPancho

Reaction score
Curious to know if anyone might have some info on fords “portable charging system “ they filed a patent app on a while back?

Im on the list for both the lightning as well as the e Silverado. Considering they’re talking about 400miles for the Chevy im tempted to wait. But if ford really does have a truck bed charger coming soon then I might pull the trigger on the ford.

I figure the most expensive item in a etruck is the battery- which is also the item that will depreciate the most. So I’d rather pay for smaller battery with a portable charger and use it sporadically (long trips, towing, etc) so I can minimize my battery expenditure$$.

Other than some bloggers posting pics that “might” be a charger system (wrapped in a regular tool box) I haven’t seen news…..

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd really like to see the government look at businesses near highway on/off ramps where people usually can spend lots of time but aren't necessarily obligated to spend lots of money. Park-and-ride lots, parks (climate permitting), malls, movie theaters, libraries, restaurants, etc. Hotels are an interesting situation, it just makes sense to me that hotels should find an existing charging network to partner with, as there is probably some demand already for charging at hotels.

It wonder if any gas stations are already looking at what people will want from a charging station station. People are going to have to leave their vehicle parked in a spot for some time, and of course you want to be ready for the least comfortable weather your area has to offer. Until charging speeds improve, we need spaces for people to rest with low pressure to buy anything and some means for people to entertain themselves.
Knowing how most small business entrepreneurs think, they will want to get you to spend as much money with them as possible while you are waiting.

Brew on :mug: