Double IPA Pliny The Bastid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale-56
Yeast Starter
YES
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 68°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 68°F
Pliny The Bastid--Double IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.25
Anticipated OG: 1.075 Plato: 18.12
Anticipated SRM: 6.4
Anticipated IBU: 278.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
86.8 11.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
1.9 0.25 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
5.7 0.75 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
5.7 0.75 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 40.1 MH
2.75 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.40 146.4 90 min.
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 20.4 90 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 37.8 45 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 33.9 30 min.
2.25 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
Cali Ale (Safale-56)

Notes
3 dry hop additions for approximately 2 weeks each, of 1.25 ounces EACH of columbus, centennial and simcoe.
Recipe copied exactly according to Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River Brewing Company Owner/Brewmaster) handout distributed at 2005 National Homebrew Conference.

No really, count them up. 34 ounces of hops for 10 gallons makes 17 ounces for 5 gallons. Yours has 10 ounces. Not to be nit-picky, I was just really surprised by how much hops that other recipe has. Way over my budget! Peace...

Dude, did you forget your dryhop schedule? I'm assuming the "0"s are flameout. The other recipe has 11oz of dryhops, that's the bulk of the difference.

I gotta make me some of this.

Man.... Pliny the Younger is my favorite beer of all time. (So far)

No the noob question.....

1.5 oz of chinook MH
What is MH?

I haven't eve had this beer, but I've heard it pretty good. Probably going to try this recipe out soon.

So, are the dry hop amounts included in the hop schedule? Or is it 1.25 oz of each in addition to the amounts listed in the schedule? I am pretty sure it is in addition, just wanted to make sure.

Also, do you dry hop each hop for 2 weeks, take it out, and putt in another for 2 weeks, six weeks total?

Just tried my first bottle, awesome recipe probably my favorite so far. Thanks Dude

A few questions to those who have brewed this..

How much beer do you typically lose with that amount of hops?
Do you dryhop with whole or pellet...?

And can the whole hops in the recipe be substituted for pellet to conserve some of the wort or would that affect the flavor/aroma profile..?

I really have been wanting to try this for some time but don't know if the cost of ingredients would justify the amount of beer being produced. I don't buy in bulk (yet)...I guess it's probably a matter of opinion.

Can't find the friggin stuff here in Dallas.....argh! If anyone wants some Texas beers shipped to em in exchange for a six'er of Pliny lemmie know!

Pliny doesn't come in sixers, or bottled at all. I was lucky in that Brewtopia brought a growler to Denver, which he passed along to Dude, who brought it back to share with me.

lol... That might explain it then. Guess I'll give it a shot and see what I get.

What mash temps have peopl had luck with on this? I am thinking 152-3F. This is coming up soon for me, I have already bought the hops so I wouldn't have to sell a kidney to pay for it.

Thanks!

Beerrific said:
What mash temps have peopl had luck with on this? I am thinking 152-3F. This is coming up soon for me, I have already bought the hops so I wouldn't have to sell a kidney to pay for it.

Thanks!
I haven't brewed this, though I am planning an IIPA soon. To get the kind of attenuation of those #'s I'd probably shoot more like 150F. Maybe Dude will chime in.

I think it depends on each person, too. I've had issues with over attenuation and my beer always finishes too dry. I mashed at 156 and I put it in secondary today. It's at 1.010, which is lower than I wanted. I bought new thermometers, and tried everything to fix this. I'm just mashing all my beers high, now.

OK, so I am making this Saturday. I am going to mash at 153 unless someone stops me...

Beerrific said:
OK, so I am making this Saturday. I am going to mash at 153 unless someone stops me...

How are your samples? Would you mash at 153 again?

I'm doing a similar recipe of my own this weekend and had planned on mashing at around 152 or 153.

ohiobrewtus said:
How are your samples? Would you mash at 153 again?

I'm doing a similar recipe of my own this weekend and had planned on mashing at around 152 or 153.

I actually just pulled a sample of this to check the hops, I am starting the second dry hop addition Wednesday. I think the 153 worked out really well. I actually listened to the Jamil show on IIPAs and he covered Mike McDole's Pliny Clone (this year's Longshot winner) and he mashes at 153, so that is what I did. Would not change it. It let the yeast work it down to where you can taste the malt (especially the caramel) but it is not sickeningly sweet which is what I hate about many IIPAs.

Man I wish I had done this recipe back when hops were just $1.10/oz!!! Now I'm looking at just shy of $80 for a 5-gallon batch of this stuff!!!

I'm getting ready to brew this next week. I'm lucky enough to have this at my local beer bar, but what the heck; it's truly one of the worlds great beverages. I noticed you use Safale 56, where I have seen WLP001 and 1056 in other recipes. Any comments on using the 56 instead?

korndog said:
I'm getting ready to brew this next week. I'm lucky enough to have this at my local beer bar, but what the heck; it's truly one of the worlds great beverages. I noticed you use Safale 56, where I have seen WLP001 and 1056 in other recipes. Any comments on using the 56 instead?

It is safale-05 now BTW, and only one comment. No starter needed. ;)

Dude said:
It is safale-05 now BTW, and only one comment. No starter needed. ;)

Dig it! I fell in love with this stuff while brewing your Lakewalk. Two packs into well aerated wort, and boom, short and sweet!

korndog said:
Dig it! I fell in love with this stuff while brewing your Lakewalk. Two packs into well aerated wort, and boom, short and sweet!

Not to be constantly correcting you, but for a 5 gallon batch, 1 package of dry yeast is PLENTY. In fact, 1 package for 10 gallons is sufficient. Honest.

Dude said:
Not to be constantly correcting you, but for a 5 gallon batch, 1 package of dry yeast is PLENTY. In fact, 1 package for 10 gallons is sufficient. Honest.

No problem Dude. I checked their site when I first used it and found 50-80g per HL. This worked out to 1 - 1 1/2 packs per 5 gallons. I chose to err on the high side, but it's good to know I can cut it back.

wedge421 said:
Dear god 278 IBU's!!!!!!!
It's not so much that you can really get 278 IBU's in a beer (you can't, practically speaking) or even mentally process that flavor, it's more that this beer has HUGE hop flavor. I've had the pleasure of trying this beer from the Dude himself, and it has to rate as one of my all time favorites. I've used this beer as the gold standard for my super hoppy beers and never achieved the same great flavor.

Getting ready to brew this and am nailing down temps and such. 153 seems to be the mash temperature of choice, so unless someone stops me, I am going with that. I have heard of some people doing half domestic and half marris otter too. Any further thoughts on the base malt?

Thanks
KD

Yikes, 40 bucks worth of hops; I better not mess this up.

Bumping this thread again. I am brewing this and am wondering about the base malt. I was reading on another board that Vinnie uses domestic 2-row, and this recipe calls for Maris Otter. Since I have no experience with M.O. in pale ales, I was wondering how this would affect the finished product. I understand that it generally gives a maltier character. I enjoy the balance of Pliny and the fact that it is a pretty light colored beer for this style. Does the MO significantly change the character of the beer?

Thanks
KD

korndog said:
Bumping this thread again. I am brewing this and am wondering about the base malt. I was reading on another board that Vinnie uses domestic 2-row, and this recipe calls for Maris Otter. Since I have no experience with M.O. in pale ales, I was wondering how this would affect the finished product. I understand that it generally gives a maltier character. I enjoy the balance of Pliny and the fact that it is a pretty light colored beer for this style. Does the MO significantly change the character of the beer?

Thanks
KD
I use MO exclusively now for my pales. It just lends a more complex malt tone to IPA's and APA's.

I think with a heavy duty hop bomb like this recipe, it would hold up better than the standard 2-row...

BierMuncher said:
I use MO exclusively now for my pales. It just lends a more complex malt tone to IPA's and APA's.

I think with a heavy duty hop bomb like this recipe, it would hold up better than the standard 2-row...

Thanks BM. I will definitely give it a try this time. I was considering using a mixture of domestic and MO, but maybe I will just go as printed. I have had good luck with Dude's recipes in the past.

So I brewed this back in December. I entered it in the Southern regional of the Nationals. Scored a 39.5 and placed 2nd in the IPA category. So if you are looking for a good IIPA, BREW THIS BEER.

Judges did say that it could use a little "more malt backbone." Next time I might add some biscuit/victory malt or use maris ottter. Of course this would deviate from the clone but might make for a bit more complex beer.

So I brewed this back in December. I entered it in the Southern regional of the Nationals. Scored a 39.5 and placed 2nd in the IPA category. So if you are looking for a good IIPA, BREW THIS BEER.

Judges did say that it could use a little "more malt backbone." Next time I might add some biscuit/victory malt or use maris ottter. Of course this would deviate from the clone but might make for a bit more complex beer.

Congrats on the first round 2nd! Good luck! I just brewed it yesterday, but substituted domestic two row for 75% of the base malt and 25% Maris Otter. What temperature did you mash? yeast?

By the way, you will notice that Dude uses M.O. for the base malt on the first page of this thread.

Congrats on the first round 2nd! Good luck! I just brewed it yesterday, but substituted domestic two row for 75% of the base malt and 25% Maris Otter. What temperature did you mash? yeast?

By the way, you will notice that Dude uses M.O. for the base malt on the first page of this thread.

I mashed at 153F and am happy with that, my FG was right where I wanted it.
Interesting that you pointed out that he uses MO. I must have missed that or convinced myself that it wasn't worth the extra money, I am going to definitely use it next time

Pliny doesn't come in sixers, or bottled at all.

pliny the elder still doesn't come in sixers, but russian river recently began bottling it (as well as blind pig). you can find 16.9-ounce bottles here in california.

Back