Planting and Storing Rhizome Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
This is my first hop planting. I have a Centennial Rhizome that has one chute growing out of the middle of the rhizome. Should I still plant it vertically with the chute pointing upwards, 1-2" below the soil?

Also I'll be planting them in mid April and have them in the refrigerator. How damp should I keep them? i.e. only add water if they are completely dry?

Thanks.

IMG_0580.jpg

I planted 15 rhizomes last year, all of them horizontally with the eyes on top, and every one of them grew to at least 15 feet high and produced cones.

As for storing in the fridge, I kept three baby Fuggles rhizomes in sandwich bags with a quarter piece of a typical size paper towel that I soaked before sealing the baggies and sticking them in the meat compartment. I totally forgot about the poor things for almost two months before I rediscovered them and got them in the garden, yet they popped up and started growing like the rest...

Cheers!

I'm sure there are many ways. I had used a paper towel that i wrung most of the water out of. Just enought so they were damp, but not wet.

I just reread this. OP I would highly recommend you put these in 1 gal pots asap. Let them hang out and root in now. Don't wait. Even inside they can produce some roots.

I have mine in ziplocs (fridge)just a bit of water to keep moist and the bag not sealed all the way to let some air in. Planted one of the cacade rhizomes in a small pot 10 days ago and it's thriving, 2 shoots and 1 is about 2-3" tall. I planted it vertical.

I have mine in ziplocs (fridge)just a bit of water to keep moist and the bag not sealed all the way to let some air in. Planted one of the cacade rhizomes in a small pot 10 days ago and it's thriving, 2 shoots and 1 is about 2-3" tall. I planted it vertical.

Thanks to all for all of the replies. Is it recommended that the Ziplock bag be open? Will keeping it sealed cause harm?

Thanks to all for all of the replies. Is it recommended that the Ziplock bag be open? Will keeping it sealed cause harm?

From my experience, I'd say "no". Then again, I wouldn't forget about your rhizomes for a couple of months like I did and put that theory to the test ;)

Cheers!

zyx345:

Looks like one of mine (could be wrong). Plant it horz. 2" deep, until then keep it in the frig and crack the bag. The bag will collect humidity on its own and keeping it cool will slow its growth until your ready.

Good Luck

zyx345:

Looks like one of mine (could be wrong). Plant it horz. 2" deep, until then keep it in the frig and crack the bag. The bag will collect humidity on its own and keeping it cool will slow its growth until your ready.

Good Luck

Will do. Thanks ArrowheadHops. This is in fact one of your rhizomes. Really appreciate your advice on storing these and your customer service!

Too piggy back off this. I've got 3 rhizomes that I planted 4" deep and only 1 seems to be growing (its about 10" now). The other two have not sprouted. Should I replant the two to a depth of 1"? Suggestions on how to help those babies grow?

Too piggy back off this. I've got 3 rhizomes that I planted 4" deep and only 1 seems to be growing (its about 10" now). The other two have not sprouted. Should I replant the two to a depth of 1"? Suggestions on how to help those babies grow?
do not dig up the already-planted rhizomes. you'll more than likely to damage them. give them time.

Hop you don't mind that I piggy back on your thread since I have a similar question...

Got my rhizomes yesterday. Looked like my homebrew store had them sitting on the counter for a couple weeks. They're individually sealed with a little moisture. Should I be storing them in the fridge? Should I puncture each package?

hoprhizomes.jpg

If you can plant the rhizomes, plant them. If you're gonna store them for a little while (week or two) just refrigerate and plant them when you can. Any longer than that you may want to open the bags and allow for a little air/gas exchange, then tape them back up. If you leave them open, the fridge will dry them out as it tends to do. I forgot a zip lock baggie full of rhizomes that I had in the fridge for over a year and decided to plant a few. They actually began to grow but died shortly after. It was a very warm June that year. Like was mentioned earlier, you could always throw them in a pot to allow the roots to begin to form then plant later. Don't sweat it.

Hop you don't mind that I piggy back on your thread since I have a similar question...

Got my rhizomes yesterday. Looked like my homebrew store had them sitting on the counter for a couple weeks. They're individually sealed with a little moisture. Should I be storing them in the fridge? Should I puncture each package?

i left my rhizomes sealed up in a damp closed plastic bag and mold starting growing on them. i would suggest getting them out of the bag, lightly wrapping them in a paper towel and keeping it moist, and keep them in the fridge.

Back