Pitching yeast twice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExCathedra

Reaction score
I have a beer that has been slow to show signs of fermentation. After 48 hours the first bubbles are beginning to burp. Earlier, I purchased a second pack of yeast (Wyeast Activator), thinking I may need to re-pitch. If fermentation is progressing fine now, is there any harm in adding the second pack of yeast? The pack is very close to it's expiration date and frankly it will be thrown away if it is not used for this batch.

Also, this is my first time using a blow-off tube. Are blow-off tubes slower to show signs of fermentation (more volume, more pressure) or harder to judge than airlocks?

There is more pressure when using a blow-off, so you won't see as many bubbles as with an airlock. And as Revvy will probably be along to tell you, the airlock bubbles aren't an indicator of fermentation.

Pitching another smack pack of yeast shouldn't hurt, you'll just probably have more yeast than you need. I'd save that smack pack, and make a starter for the next batch with that yeast. Your yeast have replicated to the proper amount by now and should ferment your batch to completion.

Unless you're making a really high gravity beer, I don't think you'll need to pitch more yeast.

Back