Pitching on to yeast cake but wait there's more!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoughtsonhops

Reaction score
I'm about to rack my Oatmeal IPA (OG 1071 65 IBU)
I really want to brew again, so I was thinking of fermenting a CDA on the same yeast cake. But here's the catch, it's going to be a 3 gal batch. Mainly cause I don't have the bottles saved up for a full 5 gal and I want to try another CDA.

My plan was to rack the first beer to secondary, pour out some yeast, and pour the new beer on top of the left over yeast. See any problem with that?

AND. Should I cut down on the bittering hops for the second beer since there should be some bittering passed on? TIA

Hmmm, it breaks my heart that not enough bottles is an excuse to not bring 2 whole gallons of delicious beer into this world.

That being said, I don't think much bittering will be passed on. Most of the goods have probably been extracted from the hops already.

I've never had/heard of an oatmeal IPA, it sounds pretty great.

Go to costco/winco wherever is the cheapest locally and buy a case of Sam Adams cheapest. Then pitch 5 gallons on that cake.

My plan was to rack the first beer to secondary, pour out some yeast, and pour the new beer on top of the left over yeast. See any problem with that?

Others with more experience with pitching rates may argue against this, but I would pitch it on the whole yeast cake instead of trying to take some out.

Sanitize a 1 cup measuring cup. Scoop out 3/4 of a cup of yeast. That will give you roughly the correct number of active cells for 3 gal with an OG of 1.050-1.060. Do not change your hop schedule for your CDA. The addition of 3/4 cup of yeast will not affect your IBUs

If you are doing this you could just take the plunge into yeast washing and saving. It's way more cost effective and kind of a fun process.

I'm with cmybeer on this. If you look at mr.malty.com you'll see that JZ has as one of his calculations a yeast slurry. I used this last weekend when I finished up a crem ale and brewed a rye ipa. What I did was after racking the cream ale to keg (or bottling bucket for those that bottle). I dumped in a large mason jar of water that I had boiled the night before into the carboy. I swirled it all around and then let it settle for 20 min. Then. I siphoned off about 400 ml of the good yeast layer (the heavier trub will settle to the bottom faster) that was still in suspension. These allows you to get enough healthy yeast without getting all the other crud that u don't need. Or, learn to wash and store the yeast until u can do a full batch. There's a great sticky on these boards on how to wash and store your yeast.

after taking the beer out, just stir in some cooled boiled water on the gunk, take a sanitized measuring cup and pour it into a pitcher (or applesauce container). after an hour drain the liquid from the pitcher into 3 or 4 smaller jars. then, use one of those jars to make your starter.

or just chuck like half the stuff on the bottom and pour the fresh wort on top.

Thanks for the input. I've decided to let the OIPA sit a little longer. and when it comes time to rack, I'll attempt washing the yeast.

Back