Pitched onto a Yeast Cake....and Nothing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewBrew

Reaction score
I just transferred a batch of Imperial Graff to the secondary. The OG was 1.080 and I figured I'd brew another batch and pitch it right onto the yeast cake.

The first batch was on in a primary for 4 weeks. I realize that's a little too long but the temps were cool and I've got kids...so it stayed in there for a month.

Fast forward to yesterday. I pitched a Grafflewein (1.100 OG cider) onto the 1.080 OG yeast cake. This was the first time I've ever done this. I expected a very robust kickoff....but nothing.

Its been 18 hours since I pitched and no signs of activity. What gives? I was expecting a very fast kickoff! The wort was 66 degrees when I pitched and I aerated the bajeezus out of it.

Is something wrong?

Usually when people use a yeast cake they use one that fermented a low gravity brew so the yeast are healthy and not stressed. Your 1.080 yeast cake probably has pretty stressed yeast. Then you stressed them even further with a 1.100 cider.

I would give it another day or so.

+1 ^

And add plenty of nutrients! Keep rousing it. As long as alcohol hasn't been made, you can re-oxygenate it a few times. For something that size, a healthy yeast cake is very beneficial.

Wow thanks guys...just learned something. I did add a healthy dose of yeast nutrients to the wort. If nothing special is happening when I get home from work ~24 hours after pitching, I will give it a good aerating again.

yeah, nutrients. I have done this with a 6% beer as the first, then repitched with another 6.5% and it was kicked off to a full fermentation by that evening. bubbles in the first hour. (the reason was I wanted to see how low i could go with a certain yeast but doing a 5 gallon starter, and to just do it since I never have.)

Back