Pipeline Turnover Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmorebrew

Reaction score
Hola, just thought I'd share my plan for the spring/summer drinking sessions.

Just got a fresh 55lb sack of German pils malt and was wondering how I should lay the groundwork for the summer. Then it hit me. Buy a sack of wheat and put together something like this:

5 lb German 2-row pilsner
5 lb wheat
0.5 lb rice hulls
1 oz. Hallertau 4.3 AA 60 min
Yeast: WLP300

Ferment two weeks at 68.

So the plan would be to turn it over every two weeks pitching onto the previous yeast cake. I'm not sure if I can really go 11 generations on a weizen yeast, but worst case is I need to buy yeast once about halfway through.

Thoughts?

Totally doable. I have 3 taps so I try to keep my 90 Shilling clone and my own Pilsner recipe on tap at all times. Then I just rotate batches and just repitch the old yeast...works like a charm.

that sounds like a good idea, some may say it is over pitching but i am sure breweries do it all the time, they did it for hundreds of years before us. a nice summer beer for sure. and its an easy brew session too, no whirlfloc, throw your hops in and chill out for an hour!

i may have to try that recipe too, seems pretty simple. i used t58 for a wheat beer before but wayyy too much clove. id like to try wlp300.

Definetly doable. Might get a little bit of a different flavor from the yeast each time since they're going to be different pitch rates. So long as you're able to control the ferment temp, you'll be A-ok.

Back