Pin lock vs ball lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILJONNYWV

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a keg system but I don't know what the difference between a pin lock and a ball lock keg is. Could someone help me out here?

Thanks

Ball lock is taller and skinnier. Pin lock is obviously shorter and fatter.....that is about it. They use different connections but as long as you pick one and go with that style it shouldn't matter much. You can even convert pin locks to ball locks if you desire.

The other thing to think about is the diameter of the two types and what you'll be using to cool them. If you have a chest freezer, I think ball locks are better because they are a smaller diameter so you can fit more kegs per square foot and height isn't really an issue. I'm pretty sure the extra inch in diameter will make a difference in most keezers. I have a full sized, upright fridge as my kegerator and I prefer pin locks converted to ball lock connections because they are shorter so I have more clearance to get the kegs in and out of the fridge. I can only fit 5 kegs regardless of diameter, so the shorter ones make more sense for me. I don't have any experience with mini fridges so I don't know about that.

I'm at work right now so I can't measure mine, but if I remember correctly
Pin lock: diameter=9", height=23"
Ball lock: diameter=8.5", height=25"
They are both very close in size, but when you're moving one full of 50 lbs of liquid, an inch or two can make a big difference.

keep in mind that the disconnects add a little bit of height as well.

+1
From the level floor I built in my fridge to the ceiling is 27 inches and a 25 inch keg with connectors with tubing coming out at an upward angle is about 27 inches so thats why I like the pin locks for my set up.

I just ordered my keg equipment a few days ago and got all pin lock. The only thing I wish they had was the manual release valve like the ball lock kegs but its not a big deal.

I have looked at kegcowboy.com, midwestsupplies, ebay, amazon, and a few other hb sites. Any good suggestions?...
I did some measuring, and I either need to modifie my mini fridge or find a bugger one cheap.

What kind of fridge? Make sure you take out the shelving from the inside of the door. Also, you may have to cut out some of the inside of the fridge. I had to cut out the shelf supports on both sides. It allowed me to fit two cornies in there.

cornykeg.com also has cheap pin lock or converted pin lock kegs. They have clearance pin locks for $10.

I'll add my two cents.... I have pin lock kegs that have ball lock fittings on them. It allowed me to keep the shelf in my kegerator.

I have looked at kegcowboy.com, midwestsupplies, ebay, amazon, and a few other hb sites. Any good suggestions?...
I did some measuring, and I either need to modifie my mini fridge or find a bugger one cheap.

That sounds like my search routine yesterday too lol. I managed to get a full size fridge for free, so I'm just trying to get it setup with 2-3 faucets on either the front or side.

Does ~$250-280 seems to be a good ballpark figure for a 2 keg setup?

Back