Pilsner pursuit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 pks of this is the best thing to happen in Oregon for a while.
bTj27MZ.jpg

Mild mixed feelings. As a person who always celebrated the Pils as a personal favorite, and weathered all the teasing from (American) people for literally years when placing my orders...., i'm not really dying for the IPA crowd and lambic experts crowding my side of the bar and insisting about their long standing lust of all things lager.

But....I am looking forward to more breweries offering (hopefully) tasty options in this realm now that they see a market for it.

Mild mixed feelings. As a person who always celebrated the Pils as a personal favorite, and weathered all the teasing from (American) people for literally years when placing my orders...., i'm not really dying for the IPA crowd and lambic experts crowding my side of the bar and insisting about their long standing lust of all things lager.

But....I am looking forward to more breweries offering (hopefully) tasty options in this realm now that they see a market for it.

Someone find out about your favorite indie band ;( ?

Always SMH when I see that "craft lager/pils" is gonna be the next big thing. It's a weird day when the rest of the scene is playing catching up to PA.

Always SMH when I see that "craft lager/pils" is gonna be the next big thing. It's a weird day when the rest of the scene is playing catching up to PA.

Pennsylvania's Contributions to the Craft Beer Scene, ranked:

1) Lagers
3,476) The Bottling line explosion that killed 3 people
3,477) The TalkBeer Pittsburgh Thread

I used to hate yellow fizzy lagers and pilsners, but that was probably just due to my experience only being shitty macro stuff. They're great on hots days and very sessionable. I've been converted for a few years now.

Pennsylvania's Contributions to the Craft Beer Scene, ranked:

1) Lagers
3,476) The Bottling line explosion that killed 3 people
3,477) The TalkBeer Pittsburgh Thread

10) Chair lines at Tired Hands.
Not all contributions are good.

For real though, I do miss having access to fresh* Prima - and many of the other fun lagers that Victory makes, for that matter - as well as Troeg's Sunshine and even Stoudt's Pils.

I do think this Pils resurgence is a very good thing and I think we're a long way from them being part of the #linelife craze, but I could be wrong. Maybe Zwickel will be the new hazy style and...you know maybe I shouldn't give people any ideas.

*once found a 2.5 year old Prima at a Bevmo

I dunno, it seemed like a pretty mild complaint balanced against cautious optimism. Thanks for being so uncharitable in your reading though. Cheers.
Was just giving you **** man, sounded like the my indie band got popular complaint. :)

If this were lambic years ago, I could understand, but I really cannot see the downside of more pilsners being available.
1) more breweries will make them, as has started
2) the quality will improve because people will see what a good pilsner is (there are some truly abysmal iterations of pilsners out there)
3) it is not as if people are going to try to age these and there will be lines for pilsners and insane secondary market for them. I guess it could slightly go the way of hyped IPAs, but I doubt it.

I hope pilsners are the next big thing, followed by cask ales:)

In addition to the aforementioned Victory, Troegs, & Stoudts (too often overlooked), PA got dat Kaiser & Pikeland, plus some new-schoolers (Citra comes to mind). All Saints' St. Josef is a helluva sleeper.

Wondering if moarhops would share his tale of PA pils chauvinism.
Pikeland was my go to for years, but I am really struggling to find it, let alone fresh anymore.

3) it is not as if people are going to try to age these and there will be lines for pilsners and insane secondary market for them. I guess it could slightly go the way of hyped IPAs, but I doubt it.

Holy Mountain cans their Three Fates pilsner and has released it alongside hazy DIPA/pales. The last time was a few weeks ago with Lush Land (hazy pale) cans. Lush Land sold out the same day, but there are still Three Fates cans available to go. It's really nice.

sounded like the my indie band got popular complaint.

Having worked and played in underground and independent music for 20+ years and suffering precious dipshits the entire time whose fragile sense of identity is based on the superiority felt from having some type of cultural secret to lord over others.... this jestful jab probably cut me a bit deeper than you intended ;) Take me at my word, that couldn't be further from my mentality.

What I am complaining about is not so much my secrets being stolen, or an exploding secondary market, but the way something necessarily mutates when it becomes "the next big thing". Pliny the Younger used to be a fun little thing to drop in on once a year, taste an outrageous beer with a few good friends, have a laugh... all with breathing room! It's just pure misery now, and not even entirely because of the wait to get in but because of the shift in the tone of the event. I like to drink great beer with great people and relax from my stressful life, not stand in blast range of a conversation about trade values for hours so that I can get three tickets to drink thimbles of beer in an active mosh pit. I don't jealously guard this stuff, I will tell anyone that will listen my belief that Brian Hunt makes some of the greatest beer in America. I've no problem with an increase in popularity, i'm eager and happy to share. I just hope that it doesn't tip to the point where a lot of the fun gets sapped out. Especially since its one of the last great corners of beer not suffering from "asphyxiation by enthusiasm".

That may be a distinction without a difference, or it may even make me look worse than my previous complaint did...

followed by cask ales

I'd love to see these gain in popularity as well, and THIS is a promising sign IMO. On the other board, the head brewer said:
Then up in the Bay Area is Freewheel Brewing in Redwood City. Their brewer, Alisha, and I apprenticed at the same brewery in Yorkshire - Roosters.

I actually haven't been back to England since before I was legal drinking age so my authenticity meter may be poorly calibrated but I quite like Freewheelers so i'm excited for this.

*Sorry for not-pilsnering

I've no problem with an increase in popularity, i'm eager and happy to share. I just hope that it doesn't tip to the point where a lot of the fun gets sapped out. Especially since its one of the last great corners of beer not suffering from "asphyxiation by enthusiasm".

When brewgentlemen announced in a recent newsletter that they purchased a new lager tank, they got responses along the lines of "ZOMG WHY ARENT YOU CANNING YOUR IPAS WHO DRINKS LAGERS YOU GUYS DONT KNOW HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS", et cetera, et cetera.

I think this little niche will be okay. Pilsners don't assault your palate which will keep the hysteria of the ****-lords to a dull hum (along with the fact that we'll likely never see a Helles that's 300 cans, limit 1 pp). A style that has "crispy" as its primary buzzword should be safe.

Also, hi, my name is Jimmy/Timmy/Joey Wimms and I want all of your Three Fates/Pivo/Mary.

When brewgentlemen announced in a recent newsletter that they purchased a new lager tank, they got responses along the lines of "ZOMG WHY ARENT YOU CANNING YOUR IPAS WHO DRINKS LAGERS YOU GUYS DONT KNOW HOW TO RUN A BUSINESS", et cetera, et cetera.

I think this little niche will be okay. Pilsners don't assault your palate which will keep the hysteria of the ****-lords to a dull hum (along with the fact that we'll likely never see a Helles that's 300 cans, limit 1 pp). A style that has "crispy" as its primary buzzword should be safe.

Also, hi, my name is Jimmy/Timmy/Joey Wimms and I want all of your Three Fates/Pivo/Mary.

Dare to dream

A lot more are using them then you may think (Dovetail, Metropolitan, New Glarus all jump to mind immediately and I'm sure there are a lot more).
Those three make sense since they specialize in or brew a lot of lagers. I don't know if there are that many, horizontal tanks have a much larger footprint. I haven't seen many in the US personally but they're incredibly common in Germany and Austria. Even breweries like Jack's Abby and Von Trapp for example use CCTs.

Live oak in TX was using horizontals in their old location for 20ish years. Old dairy containers to be exact. Not sure if they brought that over to the new place or not.
Didn't know they were that old, damn! It does look like they have a bunch of horizontal tanks from what I see on Google. Wonder if they have open fermenters as well.

Didn't know they were that old, damn! It does look like they have a bunch of horizontal tanks from what I see on Google. Wonder if they have open fermenters as well.

Yes sir. They started distributing in 97'. Never saw any open fermenters. I would venture to say that 90% of their old location fermenters were horizontal. I haven't made it to the new location, but spent quite a bit of time in the old facility dicking around and sampling tanks. Its good to have friends.

Ticked Real Ale Hans pils courtesy of ckowalski this weekend and was really impressed. I could draw some parallels to Sly Fox Pikeland Pils which is one of my favorites. Also, loved Creature Comforts Bibo pils that was sent to me courtesy of Degausser. Such a tasty, crispy Saaz-bomb and the moteuka hops are a nice touch without being overpowering. Would love to have either of those readily available to me.

Back