Pilsner pursuit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny this comes up now; I've been trying to grab singles of pilsners lately whenever I see them to find a good one. I just keep going back to Pivo.

I have gotten major pilsner erections over the past year with my tops being from The Commons, Pfriem, and Occidental.

HOWEVER. I had a 2nd Shift Technical Ecstasy at a bottle share that almost made me cry. Does anyone know more about this beer? Is it bottled regularly? Do the brew it often?
I need to check this one out.

I have gotten major pilsner erections over the past year with my tops being from The Commons, Pfriem, and Occidental.

HOWEVER. I had a 2nd Shift Technical Ecstasy at a bottle share that almost made me cry. Does anyone know more about this beer? Is it bottled regularly? Do the brew it often?
Will vouch for this, that was a standout in a stellar line up! Pretty amazing with it being a Czech Pils, normally they are middle of the pack with so many other bold beers!

Pretty happy with the $4.99 4-packs of Goose 4 Star Pils pounders. Been burned out on $15-$16-$17 IPA 4-packs... As long as the stock is fresh I can see mysef buying a lot of these moving forward.

Had this last night for the first time, a very nice American/sorta-hoppy pils. Could easily drink a lot of it.

That beer was fantastic. I'm pretty sure they will be brewing it again, but last year was the first time they did. I think it will be a seasonal going forward. I just wish it was in 6 packs.

Also their website is awesomely weird http://www.2ndshiftbrewing.com/

Piling on...Yes, Technical Ecstasy was fantastic. Can't wait to get it again.

No one trade for 2nd Shift though, k?

Bump.

d7UbxPL.jpg

Pilsner Urquell from the wooden barrels was pretty interesting.

GCPUmKV.jpg

Also a big fan of Freistädter Junghopfenpils. Krautheimer, Augustiner, and Fürstlich Fürstenbergische are good too. The bigger German brands (Warsteiner, Jever, König, Oettinger, even Becks) are all solid if you can get them fresh. Most people look down on Oettinger for being mass-produced but it got second place after Jever in a blind tasting we did of the big brands. Can't stand Löwenbräu though, always has a metallic taste to me.

If you're trading with somebody from Texas and like hops, ask for Real Ale Hans Pils. It's soooo good. I like it more than Live Oak Pilz and that's saying a lot.

Also, apparently it pairs well with Reubens according to the brewery itself.

https://realalebrewing.com/beers/hans-pils/

Also, it's canned. Available in 12-packs. And pretty dirt cheap (it's about $14/12-pack).

If you're trading with somebody from Texas and like hops, ask for Real Ale Hans Pils. It's soooo good. I like it more than Live Oak Pilz and that's saying a lot.

Also, apparently it pairs well with Reubens according to the brewery itself.

https://realalebrewing.com/beers/hans-pils/

Also, it's canned. Available in 12-packs. And pretty dirt cheap (it's about $14/12-pack).
Hans tastes like a hoppier version of Pivo to me (without being some IPL nonsense). Great stuff!

Can't believe I forgot Gänstaller in my pils list. Their Zwickelpils is delicious.
And Rothaus???

Favorite German pilsners are: Rothaus, Gänstaller, Neumarkter Lammsbrau, these are the 3 I regularly buy. Couple other great ones I have had, but can't think of them right now.

US pilsners: Upright, Heater Allen, pFreim

And Rothaus???

Favorite German pilsners are: Rothaus, Gänstaller, Neumarkter Lammsbrau, these are the 3 I regularly buy. Couple other great ones I have had, but can't think of them right now.

US pilsners: Upright, Heater Allen, pFreim
Rothaus is good but not my favorite. It has a sweeter and fruitier profile than most pils. For a similar beer at 1/2 the price I prefer Tegernsee Hell.

Back