Pilsner pursuit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had this for the first time today (thanks to jacksback). Perfect beer, would bang endlessly if we got distro. Can't say I've had a better Pilsner ever. Forever ISO.
KcKTLaz.jpg
ISO

Lower than $20, some stuff goes as low as 12€ for the case.
Exact same price in nrw, point being at the singles price a case, I'm talking 24btls to translate it to the us cases vs 20, are below 1€/btl, and then there's the deposit, so $20/case. Yes, you can often get specials for 12€-15€. Beer isn't magically cheaper in the south:)

Exact same price in nrw, point being at the singles price a case, I'm talking 24btls to translate it to the us cases vs 20, are below 1€/btl, and then there's the deposit, so $20/case. Yes, you can often get specials for 12€-15€. Beer isn't magically cheaper in the south:)
Makes sense, thought you were paying $20 for the 20 packs! I think the cheapest pilsner I've seen in 24 packs is Ayinger for 15€, most of the other stuff comes in 20 packs.

Anyone know of good pilz in Massachusetts? I will pack as much Live Oak Pilz as possible, but I will need a new daily drinker once I run out.
Moving to MA? Adelais, Notch Pils, Remain in Light, 'gansett Bohemian are all super crushable. Adelais in particular is great but it might be brewery-only, the others are easy to find. Somehow I've never tried Sunny Ridge or Two Roads Pilz but I hear good things.

Fresh Cut Pilsner is also pretty crushable but it's hopped with Citra and Chinook so it's far from traditional. I like it a lot though.

Moving to MA? Adelais, Notch Pils, Remain in Light, 'gansett Bohemian are all super crushable. Adelais in particular is great but it might be brewery-only, the others are easy to find. Somehow I've never tried Sunny Ridge or Two Roads Pilz but I hear good things.

I'm moving to central Massachusetts in 3 weeks. Beer cellar should arrive in 4. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those after I crush my LO and Hand Pills.

I'm moving to central Massachusetts in 3 weeks. Beer cellar should arrive in 4. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those after I crush my LO and Hand Pills.
I don't think you'll find Adelais in Central MA but the others shouldn't be a problem.

I saw posts talking about cheap (really cheap!?!) cases of Rothaus. I'm going to ignore those posts, because they make me angry. I want cheap Rothaus cases.

Anyone know of good pilz in Massachusetts? I will pack as much Live Oak Pilz as possible, but I will need a new daily drinker once I run out.

Right now, Jacks Abby Sunny Ridge 6pack tallboys are killing it.
Rothaus is available. Not cheaply. Veltins 4pack cans are in the market.
Notch, Fort Hill Hera, Ayinger, and so on.

Damn I want some Rothaus the label looks cool af
Speaking of foreign pilsners, I had an Urquell a while back that was amazing so I went to Trader Joes last week and got a single bottle to see if it would still be great. It was horrendous.
The best way to buy and drink Urquell is in cans. The bottles are skunked 90% of the time.

The best way to buy and drink Urquell is in cans. The bottles are skunked 90% of the time.
The only time I could ever buy the cans here was when they sold them in the tin lunchbox. One can only use so many Urquell lunchboxes....
When they did have them and they were fresh I was pretty happy.

I have a place that always has fresh 4 packs for $7.99, minus the lunchbox.

the few spots I've checked near me in northern california only ever have em in bottles.
I'll have to keep an eye out for the cans whenever I'm traveling.

edit: just checked total wine online and found em at the one near the train station I take to get to school. 4 pack for $6.49

I want to put together a small west of the Mississippi blind pilsner tasting soon. Pivo will of course be featured, and I plan to track down the following:

- Live Oak Pilz
- Heater Allen
- pFriem
- Crux
- Real Ale Hans Pils
- 2nd Shift Technical Ecstasy
- STS
- Holy Mountain Three Fates

The last 2 might be tougher to track down, but I figure it's worth it for the tasting if I can do so. Perhaps I'll throw in some Nooner/Scrimshaw for comparison's sake.

Anything I'm missing without going too over the top?

Last edited:
I want to put together a small west of the Mississippi blind pilsner tasting soon. Pivo will of course be featured, and I plan to track down the following:

- Live Oak Pilz
- Heater Allen
- pFriem
- Crux
- Real Ale Hans Pils
- STS

The last 2 might be tougher to track down, but I figure it's worth it for the tasting if I can do so. Perhaps I'll throw in some Nooner/Scrimshaw for comparison's sake.

Moonlight reality Czech
Bierstadt slow pour pils
Chuckanut pilsner

- Live Oak Pilz
- Heater Allen
- pFriem
- Crux
- Real Ale Hans Pils
- STS

Urban Chestnut Stammtisch is killer

Latest posts

Back