Pig Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeakyPolynesian

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum and have been brewing for about 2 years. I'm working on a new beer I call Pua'a (pig) Stout. I'm using an oatmeal stout as a base. I want to add bacon to the beer. Any suggestions on how? I'm thinking adding it to the secondary. Kinda like dry hopping. What do you all think?

I have no clue how to go about doing this although it is an interesting idea. I would imagine you'd need a decent amount of bacon flavor to overcome the flavors of an oatmeal stout. Please keep updating and let us know how this works out for you.

THere's a ton of threads on Bacon Beer on here. I set up the parameters for a google search for you. Type this into your google search bar.

site:homebrewtalk.com "Bacon beer"

Start with that and also the similar threads boxes below those threads when you are reading them.

Thanks for the info. I figured there may be some previous threads on the subject. I'll check em out and let everyone know how it turns out.

Well its been a long time. Got busy with moving and I haven't had time to give an update on how the bacon beer turned out. I tried several methods, an none were horrible. But one was amazing! I broke up a five gallon batch into 5 growlers. One I left as a control sample. One received 2 tsp of Torani bacon syrup. One received 2 tbs of Torani bacon syrup. The last 2 gallons I used real apple wood smoked bacon. I placed on a wire rack and baked at 350°f for about an hour. Then I added it to the secondary for 5 days. One receiving 25g and one receiving 48g. (It was supposed to be 50g but I got hungry) So the final word. 48g of real bacon per one gallon was awesome! No greasy mouth feel or any off flavors. A strong smokey bacon nose. The bacon notes hide a little at first behind a robust roasted coffee flavor. Then come out near the end. It finished surprisingly clean with a salty Smokey flavor that sticks around just long enough. The only complaint I had is the head retention was pretty bad. It poured with a nice caramel colored head that disappeared in minutes. But all in all, it was a great first attempt.

Back