Pier Pressure to Peak Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson1522

Reaction score
I've brewed an extra kit hefeweizen...13 days in primary and 12 days in the bottle so far. It still has somewhat of a bitter finish so I'm assuming it just isn't done.

I split 5 gallons in to two bottling buckets. In one, I primed 2.5 gallons with a little over 2.25oz of dextrose. In the other, I primed 2.5 gallons with 4.25oz of dextrose. All bottles are sitting in a bath tub with a heavy painter's blanket on top.

I did that because I could never get a clear answer on carbonation vs carbonation to style. 5oz seemed to be enough for a 5 gallon batch but a lot of calculators and such claimed Hefeweizen could use up to 8-9oz for a 5 gallon batch. All bottles have been out of sunlight and remained at 69.3 degrees for the duration. So, that's the experiment and I'm shocked that none of the bottles have exploded yet.

I'm about to take a trip from here on the coast of NC to the mountains of West Virginia. The temperature difference is about 10 degrees lower where I'm headed. How can I expect the change in altitude (and presumably pressure) to affect my beer? I plan on taking 3 from each batch. Should I expect explosions during the car ride?

You may be right. The experimenting part is where I find the most fun..but the possibility of exploding bottles in the car kinda makes me nervous.

Back