Pickle Beer (Kettle Soured Gose)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden123982

Reaction score
Thought I'd share a fun one I'm in the middle of brewing.
50/50 pilsner/wheat, inoculated w/ 2 lb acid malt and has been sitting at 90F for about 48 hours.
Will be boiling for another 5 min tonight with additions of 1 oz salt, 1 oz dill seed, 0.2 oz mustard seed, and 0.1 oz coriander seed. Might add some fresh dill as well at some point.
At kegging will be using a TBD ratio of distilled white vinegar and apple cider vinegar to get that yummy pickle level just right...

Interesting! I friggen LOVE pickles but I never thought about making a pickle beer. Have you made it before? Is it good? I grew Chicago pickling cucumbers this summer and was able to make 40 or so jars of pickles. I might want to give this a go on a small batch if it turns out for you. Thanks for sharing.

I haven’t but I saw that a brewery in Texas makes one that is their most popular beer and has since done a spicy pickle and a Bloody Mary pickle beer.

I first got the idea because a YouTube channel made one and challenged a YouTube group that happens to be my homebrew shop/local brewery

I heard the Texas brewery uses cucumber peel in theirs and is more salty than vinegar. I’m trying not to shy away from the vinegar too much, but we will see how that turns out

I haven’t but I saw that a brewery in Texas makes one that is their most popular beer and has since done a spicy pickle and a Bloody Mary pickle beer.

I first got the idea because a YouTube channel made one and challenged a YouTube group that happens to be my homebrew shop/local brewery

I heard the Texas brewery uses cucumber peel in theirs and is more salty than vinegar. I’m trying not to shy away from the vinegar too much, but we will see how that turns out

I may have had the beer you are referring to. I thought it was very good, but I don't think I would want 5 gallons of pickle beer.

I've brewed a couple of pickle goses. I used 1 lb of acid malt, a package of mccormick's pickling spices, fresh dill, pickle juice, pickles, jalapenos and Juice, and salt. I did't kettle sour it, since their is so much other stuff in this beer I figured I could get away with using straight Acid malt for all of my lactic acid. I threw everything in the boil and let it go. There are some beer snobs in our HBC and even they reluctantly admitted they liked this beer. I somehow lost the original recipe and the second batch had too much salt (tried to brew 10 gals, but ended up with 7.5), but the pickle was still very much there. I still have a few bottles and I think I'm going to mix it with some Arrogant Bastard to see if that works. Beer alchemy :mug:

I may have had the beer you are referring to. I thought it was very good, but I don't think I would want 5 gallons of pickle beer.

Luckily since I have been recruited to brew this, I have been promised help finishing off the 5 gallons. But I will say that when I threw everything in the fermenter last night, it was tasting pretty tasty now that all of the ingredients that have been added (outside of the vinegar which will be to taste as kegging)

I'm jealous you're local to Genus! I've had a pickle beer at a beer festival, however it wasn't a sour. I like pickles, but I could barely finish the small taster they gave me. It was way too salty.

I'm jealous you're local to Genus! I've had a pickle beer at a beer festival, however it wasn't a sour. I like pickles, but I could barely finish the small taster they gave me. It was way too salty.
K-os, before I saw you are from WS I thought you had tried mine at the So Cal fest. That was the last one I brewed. I tried to brew 10 gals (so put enough salt in for a nice salt kick) but it ended up with 7.5 gals and by the end of the day I did not think about the salt concentration. I'm going to try it in a mix with Arrogant Bastard for fun. My understanding of a gose is slightly sour and slightly salty. When making a flavored sour like the pickle I have only used straight acid malt as the only souring agent. It works, but it takes some experimenting on how much to use. :mug:

Back