Picked up a couple kegs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedIdiot

Reaction score
The name etched on the kegs is "Firestone Steel Products B-8 *", and then below that it says "Challenger 'VI' ".

These are 5gal kegs. They appear to be either pin-locks or ball-locks that had sanke adapters welded into the tops (see pics). I pulled the rubber off of one of the in/out ports, and they appear to have been either welded shut, or sealed with some kind of epoxy (can't tell which, but its sealed shut), so I'll probably have to use the sanke fitting. They both came with a hand pump tap, but I will be giving those to my brother or selling, and buying a co2 sanke tap.

What do you guys think? btw, these are still both about half full of beer. Not sure how old it is. I'm almost tempted to try pouring a glass and trying it to see...

027-2.jpg

029-2.JPG

031-2.JPG

They are called pub kegs, I would use them with the sanke fittings. I know sabco makes them.

I support the idea of trying the beer - but as those are air pumps on top it is likely to be oxidized to hell and back.

report back after you have extracted the unknown

Yeah, I thought I had closed both the taps off so they wouldn't leak in the trunk of my car. I was wrong. One of them managed to roll over onto the party tap handle and leak foam all over my trunk. Fortunately I had put a blanket down, so all I had to do was pull that out. They've been sitting still for about 4 days now, so they should be somewhat settled... but probably very oxidized.

Just picked up a nice 20# CO2 tank, empty. Going to get it filled sometime next week, maybe, and then I'll be picking up the sanke taps for it.

Hi

Pressurized with air for who knows how long - I suspect anything in there is mostly vinegar by now.

I'd check the diameters of the kegs. If they are "ball lock" size they are less than 8". That is a *very* good thing when you are trying to cram stuff into a keezer.

Bob

Hi

Pressurized with air for who knows how long - I suspect anything in there is mostly vinegar by now.

I'd check the diameters of the kegs. If they are "ball lock" size they are less than 8". That is a *very* good thing when you are trying to cram stuff into a keezer.

Bob

The kegs are exactly 8" in diameter, and 25" tall without the tap.

Hi

That's good news. That puts them in the "sub ball lock" diameter category. Makes them fit in a *lot* more arrangements in a fridge or freezer.

Bob

Yeah, I just found this nice "antique" GE single door fridge on CL. They want $85 for it, but I'm going to try to work them down a bit. Ad says it works, and it looks like I could probably fit of these kegs in it, with taps on the front or side (probably front).

Already broached the subject with SWMBO, and while not enthusiastic, she is willing to let me look into it...

Yeah, I just found this nice "antique" GE single door fridge on CL. They want $85 for it, but I'm going to try to work them down a bit. Ad says it works, and it looks like I could probably fit of these kegs in it, with taps on the front or side (probably front).

Already broached the subject with SWMBO, and while not enthusiastic, she is willing to let me look into it...

Hi

At least around here, chest freezers show up cheaper than fridges. There are some significant advantages to a simple conversion on a freezer. I gotta admit that the retro fridges look *way* if you take care fixing them up.

Bob

Hi

At least around here, chest freezers show up cheaper than fridges. There are some significant advantages to a simple conversion on a freezer. I gotta admit that the retro fridges look *way* if you take care fixing them up.

Bob

Well, I've been looking for a chest freezer too. So far I haven't found anything above 7 cu ft for less than about $150, usually over $200, unless its just in garbage condition.

I would rather have a keezer than a kegerator, but we'll see. I don't know if SWMBO will even let me do this anytime soon.

Well, I've been looking for a chest freezer too. So far I haven't found anything above 7 cu ft for less than about $150, usually over $200, unless its just in garbage condition.

I would rather have a keezer than a kegerator, but we'll see. I don't know if SWMBO will even let me do this anytime soon.

Hi

The obvious gotcha with any used fridge or freezer is that you really don't know how many miles are left on it. If it's lived in the garage it's whole life, it can look very good and not have much left in it...

Bob

Yeah. If I can't find something decent for under $100, then I might as well go buy a new GE 7.0 cubic foot model from Sam's Club for $200. It'll fit 4 corny's, plus either the CO2 tank or bottles/carboy's on the hump, I believe.

Wow - I hope you didn't pay much for them (free hopefully). They are too tall to fit in any kegerator. So perhaps as just a conditioning vessel? I see very little use for them.

Wow - I hope you didn't pay much for them (free hopefully). They are too tall to fit in any kegerator. So perhaps as just a conditioning vessel? I see very little use for them.

?? I am removing the pump tap, and using a co2 coupler instead. They are actually ball lock/pin lock kegs, that have been converted to sanke couplers. They will only be about 3-4 inches taller than a normal ball lock/pin lock keg is, due to the sanke's on top.

So, not really "very little use for them". They will fit in most upright refrigerators and most chest freezers as well.

Ahh ok. It looked like they were permanently welded up that high. With any extra height it would be hard to get into my kegerator. Plus having to have 2 difference kinds of taps would be a pain. But free is free!

Ahh ok. It looked like they were permanently welded up that high. With any extra height it would be hard to get into my kegerator. Plus having to have 2 difference kinds of taps would be a pain. But free is free!

Yeah. I would prefer that I could still use the ball/pin lock couplings, but they were actually welded closed, and the sanke coupler welded into the opening in the middle. The taps "should" be removable (haven't gotten them out yet though). Either way, they were free, and I've got a bid for 2 sanke D taps on ebay for like $20. If I get them, great.

I have one of those kegs. They come in handy if you need to take your homebrew to a party where it's set up for sankey use. As far as I know they aren't being made (converted) anymore. As far as the height issue I also have one of these.

http://www.kegworks.com/low-profile-us-sankey-keg-coupler-d-system-829-p21187

Ooh, I like those low profile sanke couplers. I don't like the price though. I figure if I end up setting up a kegerator/keezer, I'll just make sure I have enough headspace for the sanke couplers on top.

I got the interior dimensions for the antique GE fridge I liked, and I should be able to fit 4 ball lock/pin lock (i.e. the two I have, plus two more) inside, with the CO2 tank outside the fridge. Only problem is the fridge is an hour away, and I don't own a truck...

Plus having to have 2 difference kinds of taps would be a pain. But free is free!

Why would it be a pain. I've got pin lock and ball lock, and will be getting a sankey coupler soon so I can do commercial beer when I want. Takes all of a couple of mins to screw off one and screw on the other.

Take it from a guy with multiple marriages..........it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.......Doesn't work out every time but if she loves you the odds are in your favor.

Yeah, I've used that tactic a few too many times, and we're only just celebrating our 1 year anniversary in 6 days...

I am selling off a BUNCH of cuurently unused aquariums and accessories (hopefully tonight). I plan on using some of those funds to finish out my kegging supplies, and get a 6gal fermenter this weekend. If I can squeeze in a fridge or freezer sometime in the next couple months, I will. Otherwise I'll just get a small cooler, a coil, and a single tap, and just chill my keg beer that way.

I also need to get my hops growing garden set up so I can plant my rhizomes. Just 2 months late, but whatever...

Ooh, I like those low profile sanke couplers. I don't like the price though. I figure if I end up setting up a kegerator/keezer, I'll just make sure I have enough headspace for the sanke couplers on top.

Yeah I bought one years ago. I don't remember what I paid at that time. The reason I have it is so I can use a commercial 1/4 keg (the short ones) in the bottom freezer section of my kegerator.

Well I just sold like $325 worth of aquarium stuff today, so I basically get a pass on buying some beer related stuff for the next week... There's a guy on CL selling a great setup (2 kettles, 2 propane burners, 2 keg fermenters, 4 corny kegs, cooler mash tun, and a chest freezer) for $500. Just don't have that much cash at the moment. Damn you monthly bills, damn you!

Well I just sold like $325 worth of aquarium stuff today, so I basically get a pass on buying some beer related stuff for the next week... There's a guy on CL selling a great setup (2 kettles, 2 propane burners, 2 keg fermenters, 4 corny kegs, cooler mash tun, and a chest freezer) for $500. Just don't have that much cash at the moment. Damn you monthly bills, damn you!

List the 2 kegs with the Sankey top for $80 each on CL. I'd buy another one at that price.

Offer him 300 and go up to 320. Chances are he is trying to get rid of them anyway. Won't hurt to try.

List the 2 kegs with the Sankey top for $80 each on CL. I'd buy another one at that price.

Seriously thinking about it. I've got a friend who was interested in them, but he knows I got them free, so he wouldn't pony up $80 each.

Offer him 300 and go up to 320. Chances are he is trying to get rid of them anyway. Won't hurt to try.

I tried to get him to part it out, but he said he only wants to sell all together. I may list the two sanke's tonight on CL and see if I can get some more funds together. Then probably offer like $350 to start.

Also includes a CO2 tank, Johnson temp controller for the freezer, and some other things that he didn't list yet for me.... Says its good for brewing up to 10 gallon batches. Not sure (yet) if I want to go that large on my batches, but you never know... And I could always sell off some of it if I decide not to use it...

Trying to find a reason NOT to buy this, other than I don't really have the $500 yet...

$80 with a pump-tap on top? I do have a bid on ebay for a pair of co2 sanke couplers, but I won't find out if I win for 4 more days. I guess I could always throw those in if I win them (currently at $10 for the pair...).

Well, my friend can't go in on the CL buy, and the guy doesn't seem to be flexible. I ended up picking up 2x 6gal better bottles and a bottling bucket at the store, plus a racking cane, stoppers, airlocks, etc. This weekend I'm going to my LHBS to pick up the ingredients for my first 5gal batch of beer. I guess I better get moving on those keg parts, eh?

Well, my friend can't go in on the CL buy, and the guy doesn't seem to be flexible. I ended up picking up 2x 6gal better bottles and a bottling bucket at the store, plus a racking cane, stoppers, airlocks, etc. This weekend I'm going to my LHBS to pick up the ingredients for my first 5gal batch of beer. I guess I better get moving on those keg parts, eh?

Hi

Corny's are $28 on eBay. Shipping 7 of them costs $40...

Bob

Back