Anyone ran into a Goodwill Bottling Keg? Strange thread size on posts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been working on converting my pin lock kegs to ball lock, and I ran into a snag on my last keg (of course) yesterday.

Up until now, most of my kegs have been Cornelius and have 19/32x18 threads on the posts. A couple are Firestone and have 9/16x18 threads on them.

The last keg is marked property of Coca-Cola, and is manufactured by Goodwill Bottling, which appears to have been based out of Vancouver. I checked to see which type of replacement post I needed, and discovered that both the 9/16 and 19/32 are way too large for the threads on this keg. They literally slide right down to the rubber top on the keg. I'm guessing at most these threads are 1/2" (or some metric equivalent).

So, I think I'm basically out of luck on converting this one. I have a five keg keezer and seven kegs in rotation. It looks like I'll have to stop using this one. That may not be the worst thing in the world. When I was trying to swap out the posts, I noticed both the gas and liquid dip tubes were really jammed inside the pin lock posts. And both dip tube O-rings, which I believe I'd just replaced, were pretty much destroyed. I'm guessing the dip tubes are standard size, while the interior of the posts are smaller, matching the smaller thread size. I've never had a leak with this keg, but judging from the O-rings I could have.

I do have one other Cornelius keg that I have not used. I bought a four-pack years back, and this one has hairline cracks in the rubber covering the top of the keg, and some of the rubber is even flaking off around the posts (see pic). The handles seem fine, just cracks on the rubber on top. I don't know how the rubber parts integrate into the keg; do these cracks compromise the integrity of the keg? There's nothing else wrong with the keg. I just don't want the handle to let loose sometime when I'm lifting it.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    742.8 KB · Views: 9
Back