Philly Area Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda what I thiught. Just trying to understand the hawthornes hate (that gillian price is pretty silly)

Are there any reasonably priced bottle shops with good selections? Foodery and beer heaven aren't much better
Unfortunately, I've almost universally found that the words "reasonably priced" and "bottle shop" don't exist in the same sentence. There are always, of course, exceptions. I get most of my stuff at Whole Foods or Wegman's. They generally have the best prices I've found.

It isn't completely the bottle shops faults but yes prices like that are crazy. There are quite a number of added taxes when selling beer in Philly that don't exist outside the city. On top of higher rents, it kind of stinks. However, 100% markups are pretty gross.

edit: Honestly, I think things would be a bit cheaper if a bottle shop could open without needing to pretend to offer food. So many of these places must waste a ton of money on that useless overhead. Good luck ever seeing that change though.

It isn't completely the bottle shops faults but yes prices like that are crazy. There are quite a number of added taxes when selling beer in Philly that don't exist outside the city. On top of higher rents, it kind of stinks. However, 100% markups are pretty gross.

edit: Honestly, I think things would be a bit cheaper if a bottle shop could open without needing to pretend to offer food. So many of these places must waste a ton of money on that useless overhead. Good luck ever seeing that change though.

Indeed. We live in one of the most ass backwards states in the union when it comes to beer and liquor laws. And it'll never change, because the ******** laws in place are designed to line the pockets of certain individual's pockets. I don't see them looking to give up their position of privilege either.

It isn't completely the bottle shops faults but yes prices like that are crazy. There are quite a number of added taxes when selling beer in Philly that don't exist outside the city.

Hawthornes is under the Bella Vista umbrella (not legally, but within a loophole). They're literally across the street from Bella Vista so they surely didn't pay additional tax, gas fees, handling fees and probably got the case at Bella Vistas wholesale price unlike other bottle shops who have to order beer that only Bella Vista has such as The Bruery.

The Hottenroth price is literally a 200% markup with lower overhead. Go to whole foods and buy it for $6.99-7.99

last time I got beer at whole foods I was shocked to pay $16 for a 4 pack of here gose nothin

Hawthornes is under the Bella Vista umbrella (not legally, but within a loophole). They're literally across the street from Bella Vista so they surely didn't pay additional tax, gas fees, handling fees and probably got the case at Bella Vistas wholesale price unlike other bottle shops who have to order beer that only Bella Vista has such as The Bruery.

The Hottenroth price is literally a 200% markup with lower overhead. Go to whole foods and buy it for $6.99-7.99
Uh, they definitely have to pay the 10% tax that everyone pays. Whether they get the case at a good price from them I have no idea. I'm not arguing with you that the price is shitty and I stated as such, I'm just saying Philly bottle shops have built in costs that don't exist outside the city.

Honestly, I think things would be a bit cheaper if a bottle shop could open without needing to pretend to offer food. So many of these places must waste a ton of money on that useless overhead. Good luck ever seeing that change though.

I'm confused. There are pleanty of bottle shops that do not offer food—Brew, Bottle shop on passyunk, beer heaven, local 44 bottle shop...

Kinda what I thiught. Just trying to understand the hawthornes hate (that gillian price is pretty silly)

Hawthorne's is typically really expensive for buying limited release type stuff, but if you're hanging out and eating there, drinking from the cooler is actually a pretty good deal. There's plenty of stuff in there thats like $3-5ish, which is a lot cheaper than the drafts and cheaper than if you were sitting at a bar where they'd charge you like $7 for a can of Shape of Hops to Come.

Hawthorne's is typically really expensive for buying limited release type stuff, but if you're hanging out and eating there, drinking from the cooler is actually a pretty good deal. There's plenty of stuff in there thats like $3-5ish, which is a lot cheaper than the drafts and cheaper than if you were sitting at a bar where they'd charge you like $7 for a can of Shape of Hops to Come.
It's mostly $4.50+ now even for mediocre ipa like big eye.
A friend got a 6 pack of angry orchard Togo from Hawthornes the other day and was charged $29.50 with the take out discount. He didn't realize it until he got home.

It's mostly $4.50+ now even for mediocre ipa like big eye.
A friend got a 6 pack of angry orchard Togo from Hawthornes the other day and was charged $29.50 with the take out discount. He didn't realize it until he got home.

Yea I agree - for takeaway it's pretty terrible, I just mean for dining in it's fairly "cheap" compared to $7 tulip glass beers.

Planning on it. Depends how my wife is feeling after this 24 hour bug though. May be rolling solo if I make it.

Sour bowl at bru craft and wurst. 16 taps of sours/wilds and 16 taps of IIPAs/Imperial stouts

Anyone see Knee Deep at Wegmans/Whole Foods locations yet? I've only seen them posted (on FB) at bottle shops so far.

Anyone see Knee Deep at Wegmans/Whole Foods locations yet? I've only seen them posted (on FB) at bottle shops so far.
Yeah, I picked up Hoparillo and Hoptologist at KOP Wegmans last week (I think on Wednesday). No clue if there's any left, haven't been back since then. I did hear last weekend that the Collegeville Wegmans was running pretty low on Knee Deep tho, so it might be hard to find at this point.

I have stopped buying stuff at bottleshops outside of a rare treat. Not worth it. I'll drive to Jersey if I want some not-by-the-case beer.

Cool! Bet you can get rare gems in Jersey, like vanilla rye, pizza boy, russian river, cantillon, drie fonteinen, fantome, etc.

I read Sidecar was charging $16 for 10oz of CBS. Did anyone partake in that? Seems insane to me to think charging that much is reasonable if it's not for charity or something.

Are there certain times a year when the bottle list at Monks is great? Or are those days long gone? Not saying it isn't great now but do they have certain times of the year (besides Zwanze) when they put some limited lambic on the list?

Are there certain times a year when the bottle list at Monks is great? Or are those days long gone? Not saying it isn't great now but do they have certain times of the year (besides Zwanze) when they put some limited lambic on the list?
They have had Fou Foune, Vigneronne, Bruocsella etc on the menu for about 10 days now. I think Fou Foune might've finally sold out this past weekend.

That's more than $1100 for a sixtel. $1100!
Insane... and I'm pretty sure Founders only slings 1/4s and 1/2s these days. I don't even wanna know the profit they're making on that. If we had gotten a keg at my bar it would've been $8 for 8oz. Funny that that price would've sounded crazy a few years ago too. We've come a long way Philly... o_O

Not really sure how to put this, but does any one have a Westy 12 for trade maybe two? I don't have much but I do have some eclipse Bottles.

Annual PtY shitfest at Monks is on Monday at 1130am. Curious to see what he breaks out for the raffles.

Are people in line for that before 1130? I'm assuming yes given that even non beer friends are letting me know about it

I'm pretty sure younger has lasted forever at Monks the past few years. He gets a lot of it and it's generally $15 so you can generally go later in the afternoon to get it. Don't quote me if it's gone though.

Back