Philly Area Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any comments on the Crime and Punishment beers from the Brew Fair this weekend? Was going to go, but didn't make the time for it.

Any comments on the Crime and Punishment beers from the Brew Fair this weekend? Was going to go, but didn't make the time for it.
I was only there for 100 IBUS For Life IPA. And the pale ale.
The IPA I thought was fantastic and the brewer seemed very proud of it. They used some new NZ hop strains and dry hopped on Cascade? I think he said. Very juicy and clean. I liked.
The pale ale was a bit meh IMHO only because I think (at least tasted like) they used a Belgian yeast strain which I'm not a big fan of in IPAs or Pale Ales. It would prob have been good to someone that likes that sort of thing though. So maybe im biased

At their previous event a month ago or so they tapped a fantastic sour apple beer. I want that constantly.

Last edited:
Also a bit pissed that MM Partners kept advertising the event as 14oz pours but everyone ended up getting 12oz plastic cups. Not cool on their end especially since beers were a little over $5 each.

MM never responded to my comment about that.

I was only there for 100 IBUS For Life IPA. And the pale ale.
The IPA I thought was fantastic and the brewer seemed very proud of it. They used some new NZ hop strains and dry hopped on Cascade? I think he said. Very juicy and clean. I liked.
The pale ale was a bit meh IMHO only because I think (at least tasted like) they used a Belgian yeast strain which I'm not a big fan of in IPAs or Pale Ales. It would prob have been good to someone that likes that sort of thing though. So maybe im biased
Good to know at least one was good. Any updates on their opening date?

Cool. Hoping it's before Thanksgiving and I can try a little. Would be easier to just walk there for a growler rather than driving all the way to Tired Hands again.

Any philly bros around now? Just getting in on Amtrak and staying over near the navy yard. Havent been here before and nothing to do til meeting with a client tomorrow morning. Brought some bottles with me. mdillon86 might be around later. Send me a message if anyones up for a beer.

Glad I waited until about midnight to hit Monk's last night. FFAC was still on tap and the joint was basically empty.
Got pours of Temptation and FFAC and was on my merry ol way.
lYfeIph.jpg

Glad I waited until about midnight to hit Monk's last night. FFAC was still on tap and the joint was basically empty.
Got pours of Temptation and FFAC and was on my merry ol way.

D'oh. I tried to go around 8pm because I was in the area but gave up after 10mins of trying to find parking. Patience, I do not have.

Hey fellers, in town for work on the 11th. Planning to have a couple pints at Monk's Pub (tourist, got to).
If anyone is nearby and wants to talk **** about Michigan over a beer hit me up.

Cheers!

Also, bottle shop recommendations if staying downtown?

Next day staying out near Malvern. Recommendations out that way would be also appreciated (bottle shop or bar/pub). Thanks fellas.

Also, bottle shop recommendations if staying downtown?

Next day staying out near Malvern. Recommendations out that way would be also appreciated (bottle shop or bar/pub). Thanks fellas.

where downtown are you staying? there's PLENTY of options. phillytapfinder.com is probably your best resource.

where downtown are you staying? there's PLENTY of options. phillytapfinder.com is probably your best resource.
Near Rittenhouse.
Since I've never been to Monk's its a must stop. Bar flys gotta tick. Even if its just one.

Thanks for phillytapfinder. Already a huge help.

Thoughts on Tria?

Last edited:
Near Rittenhouse.
Since I've never been to Monk's its a must stop. Bar flys gotta tick. Even if its just one.

Thoughts on Tria?

i'm not a huge fan, but maybe that's only because i stick out like... well, any analogy you can think of. just not my scene so i typically avoid it. i was there about 3 years ago during beer week for a HF event. food was good. beer was better.

Near Rittenhouse.

Thoughts on Tria?
Tria Taproom is great and very close to Monks. Always a stellar draft list. Tonight they are tapping some special kegs for their one year anniversary. Tria Cafe isn't all that special, but the taproom is absolutely worth a stop.

Other places near monks that might be worth a visit depending on what's on tap include the Cambridge, Good Dog (as of two days ago they had FW Agrestic on and it's great), Jose Pistolas, Perch Pub. There are so many other good bars so if you decide to hit a different neighborhood just check tap finder. As for bottle shops near Rittenhouse, corner Foodery has a tremendous selection but is expensove as hell (definitely priciest in the city) and Food and Friends is pretty good. There are good bottle shops in just about every neighborhood so ask around if you move.

The Malvern selections above are solid for sure. If you have time, Tired Hands is on the way to Malvern and definitely worth a stop.

i'm not a huge fan, but maybe that's only because i stick out like... well, any analogy you can think of. just not my scene so i typically avoid it. i was there about 3 years ago during beer week for a HF event. food was good. beer was better.
Just doing a little reading and seeing whats where.... Khyber Pass Pub has an anniversary party tonight. Worth going?
Anyone else planning to?

I also see some good looking taps at Tap Room on 19th.

edit: just saw the Tria anniv post. Thanks.... current tap list isn't wowwing me but its decent.

Perch is nice from 5-7 since it's half price drafts on everything. If they have a decent list, it's not a bad stop.

Just want to thank the fellas who chimed in and some additional details from mdillon86

Started at Khyber for dinner (had the vegan bbq pulled pork with sweet potato fries). Had some Florence and Sanctification as these two breweries do not make it anywhere near my distro. Loved the vibe of Khyber. My kind of place for sure.
Moved on to Tria taphouse. A lot more fancy shmancy than what I prefer, but it was a nice change and scene for a short stop. Very busy, managed to find a single stool. Had LoverBeer's BeerBera followed by OEC's Solaris. Both very nice, but I had to move along.... to Monk's.
Had to stop there. It wasn't as busy as the other places but still pretty active. Craved a stout and had Cease and Desist (DeMolen) and finished everything up with Chimay's Doree (had to have something from Belgium at Monk's). Another great spot but a bit disorganized as far as setup, beer availability, etc.
All in all a great night. Lots of lighter beers so I was feeling good enough to just hike it back to my digs on a beautiful night.

Very jealous that you bastards have all that at your fingertips.
Would definitely bang Philly again.
Cheers!

Seems like it. Just funny how poor their estimates turned out to be. Not surprising in any way but still.

Back