Philly Area Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks! I moved to Philly from Maryland three months ago and am really enjoying this city for the beer scene and just in general. I was wondering if anyone in the area was interested in being a part of The Bruery's Hoarder's Society next year. I have one other guy who's getting in on the action from New Joisey, but I'd like a third as I don't see myself buying as many beers this go-round. It would be $233 for the initial membership costs, which you would pay to me since I forked over the moolah earlier this year. Even if you don't buy anything else, the automatic allocations you would receive would still equal at least that much money, if not more. Shoot me a message if you're interested, and I can give you details and references and all that good stuff. Thanks!

Any must see events going on black friday this year?

Im considering coming down to try and snag a vanilla BCBS. Looking to make the most of the day.

Private message me if anyone wants to hang or if anyone already has a plan of attack or agenda for hitting some different places that day. I'll bring some interesting bottles to share if we have the opportunity to do something of that sort.

Hey all,

Spending Thanksgiving in Havertown at the inlaw's. Suggestions on good retail spots in that area where I can pick up some things I can't get in MI? Also, any chance I might be able to score some BCBS in that area on Friday?

Much obliged for any hints or info.

Hey all,

Spending Thanksgiving in Havertown at the inlaw's. Suggestions on good retail spots in that area where I can pick up some things I can't get in MI? Also, any chance I might be able to score some BCBS in that area on Friday?

The Beer Shoppe in Ardmore is pretty good. Can't vouch for sure on Bourbon County, but it seems likely they'd see some. One block from Tired Hands to boot. Probably the closest good spot without heading into Philly or the wilds of Delco.

Hey all,

Also check out the Greeks Next Door in Narberth. They always have a pretty good selection.

Preparing for an embarrassing display on social media over the next few days.
like this? Note the omitted words and misspellings. Good stuff.
2014-11-25163806_zps17bb4f41.png

NJ isnt getting anything either. Definitely don't cross any of the bridges and come looking this way ;).

Bourbon County Day success!
3x Vanilla Rye, 4x Coffee, 1x Bourbon County snifter, 1x Bourbon County Mug, and 1x bag of Intelligentsia Zirikana coffee beans.
Craft Beer Outlet for open, the over to Foodery NoLibs at 10am and Foodery Rittenhouse at 11. Crushed it today. Now I get to scoop all my reserves from NJ this upcoming week.
Anyone else have success? Get shut out?

I got two bottles of the regular. If I come across any others, cool. Not going crazy for them.

Bourbon County Day success!
3x Vanilla Rye, 4x Coffee, 1x Bourbon County snifter, 1x Bourbon County Mug, and 1x bag of Intelligentsia Zirikana coffee beans.
Craft Beer Outlet for open, the over to Foodery NoLibs at 10am and Foodery Rittenhouse at 11. Crushed it today. Now I get to scoop all my reserves from NJ this upcoming week.
Anyone else have success? Get shut out?

126540-I-Got-A-Rock.gif

Does anyone have one of those cool bcbs bottle openers they were giving away for free today? The chick in front of me got the last one.

Ft:
Bcbs or something :)
Get in touch with Vince. Wade gave him his business card and told V to contact him about another opener, which is essentially guaranteed him.

don't know where to put this. going to west chester and will be free to roam for 3-4 hours. Best idea to visit Victory? Or other ideas? Heading there the 13th. thanks

Anyone coming down to the 2street ******** tomorrow? I live in the heart of it and will be having some people over throughout the morning/day so bring a bottle and hit me up

The following post is not beer related, but it is local. IP only, not willing to ship this cat.

1516761_870153239663097_2040385395_n.jpg

My fiance and I found Milkshakes a few months ago, wandering around as a stray outside our old apartment in Philly. She was in rough shape; she had toxoplasmosis and a bad case of fleas, and she only weighed four pounds. When the missus saw her, she grabbed some food from inside and sat down on our stoop, and Milkshakes immediately jumped into her lap and started purring. We brought her inside, got her weight up to healthy, made sure she was spayed and had a clean bill of health. She’s slowly coming out of her shell, and she’ll be a great cat in the right situation.

Unfortunately, ours is not the right situation for her. Milkshakes is super cute and great with people, and she’s back up to snuff medically, but there are problems with our other cats. She’s still got that competitive stray cat everything-is-survival mentality, and it’s really starting to affect them. Everyone is stressed out, including Milkshakes and us. She would absolutely do best in a single-cat household. We’ve never had her around dogs or kids, but I don’t imagine there would be any issues.

We’re trying to find a place for her ourselves because given her issues with other cats, we just don’t think she’d do well finding a permanent home in a rescue or shelter situation. She’s got a creaky little mew (and she uses it), loves climbing, and is extremely food-motivated for training purposes. We’ve got some toys and all the supplies you would need, and a carrier for her as well. She’s been through a lot, and all we’re asking is that you give her a shot from here on out.

10693585_813431618698621_2004030738_n.jpg

10890990_1525601951023974_581340072_n.jpg

Anybody check out the re-opened Hawthornes yet? Different? Better? The same?

Is it finally open? Live down the street. Will have to go tomorrow or Friday and report back (never went to the old so can't comment on the better aspect...)

I stopped through Hawthornes the other day. Things looked the same to me (except for one long shelf instead of two smaller shelves as the island). I wouldn't have noticed a difference if I wasn't looking for one.

found some 2013 bourbon county at Khyber Pass over the weekend. Goooood times.

Anyone headed to Winter Beer Night at barcade? Some tasty beers being tapped.

Anyone going to the 50-50 Eclipse event at the Drafting Room Saturday? Bunch of 13 and 14 variants, couldn't find info online about prices or pour sizes tho.

I was there last weekend - felt like they hadnt missed a beat really. Food was tasty, plenty of good beer options, etc. Theres some changes to the fireplace, counter and bottle shop areas but it still looks like Hawthornes. It is definitely more crowded though - it was an hour wait for brunch so we walked down to DD for a beer and came back. Just plan on waiting or coming back if you hit them up during a peak time.

Are there any reasonably priced bottle shops with good selections? Foodery and beer heaven aren't much better

Latest posts

Back