Philadelphia bulk grain interest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthPhillyBr3w3r

Reaction score
Anyone in the Philadelphia area know of an active group buy for grain or have any interest in creating one? Never done this before, so I would love it if an interested party could help me!

Has not been one in 4-5 years. The south Jersey group was active till about a year ago. I have found the prices at my lhbs are decent enough that the hassle of a group by is not as attractive as it used to be. I used weak knee in Pottstown, very good sack prices

Keystone Homebrew sells base malt for about $60+ a bag which is about $25 more than I pay in group buys. I sometimes get 10 lb bags of specialty malts there and get a small discount from regular retail. If you have to travel any distance, getting one bag isn't going to be worth it; if you get 3 or 4 bags you can maybe save some money but with gas prices and tolls in the Philly area and killing a whole day to pick it up, it still might not be worth it.

There's a group buy over in NJ, several people from the Philadelphia area participate, you may be able to arrange a car pool or someone will help with pick up.
They just wrapped up a group buy, but they'll probably do it again in a few months.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/ocean-county-nj-group-buy-5.643609/

Last edited:
Has not been one in 4-5 years. The south Jersey group was active till about a year ago. I have found the prices at my lhbs are decent enough that the hassle of a group by is not as attractive as it used to be. I used weak knee in Pottstown, very good sack prices
Do you remember what Weak Knees was asking for a sack of 2-row?

Last one I bought there was in the fall and I believe it was $50. I remember it being $1/lb. It was Briess 2 row.

Do you remember what Weak Knees was asking for a sack of 2-row?
Used to be around 40, i typically buy GP and MO these days, which is 60ish? I need to restock in a few weeks, can post the price, or call they are super nice. If you are going to get a lot, they ask you let them know so they can order extra. They can get anything from northern county malts? I typically get Thomas faucett, bestz and great Western. Occasionally briess.

I'm in MA this weekend and I'll be stopping at Love2Brew in NJ on my way back to Philly. If any philly brewers want me to grab a bag omw home, just pay me back when u get it. Lmk ASAP. I'm driving home this sunday

I'm interested in running one again. I ran one a few times in 2013/2014 and am getting back in to homebrewing again after a hiatus.

If there's interest I'll organize. With 1 skid we only need to get enough people to make 42 sacks, shouldn't be too difficult.

I just picked up through the Philadelphia Homebrew Club. Also, one of our members is a maltster at Double Eagle Malt House just outside of Philadelphia. It's locally grown and locally malted, and their sack prices tend to be a lot better than buying from a shop. I believe the guy was going to charge me $45 for 50lb of locally malted 2-row vs. $56 (retail) for 50lb of Briess 2-Row from PHO East

The prices on that group buy are decent, but still pretty high (about 80% more than buying direct).

Also, I haven't used Double Eagle in a while but I wasn't too thrilled with the very early stuff in terms of being super clean (I tend to just buy a lot of Pilsner and malted oats). I'd rather spend the money on Avanguard or Weyermann.

The prices on that group buy are decent, but still pretty high (about 80% more than buying direct).

Also, I haven't used Double Eagle in a while but I wasn't too thrilled with the very early stuff in terms of being super clean (I tend to just buy a lot of Pilsner and malted oats). I'd rather spend the money on Avanguard or Weyermann.
I would be in for 5-8 sacks

I'd be in for another sack or maybe 2 depending on when this happens. How should we handle logistics and what is time frame? Should we make some sort of spreadsheet to track interest until we hit enough to get a full order? How much do we need to get to make it worth it? I have never done one of these independently of a club or shop.

I'd be in for another sack or maybe 2 depending on when this happens. How should we handle logistics and what is time frame? Should we make some sort of spreadsheet to track interest until we hit enough to get a full order? How much do we need to get to make it worth it? I have never done one of these independently of a club or shop.

Is the thought of this still alive? Missed the last bulk buy from PHBC, but could use a sack or 2.

Back