phenol + ester = bubblegum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
This has been discussed before, but I would like to retouch on the subject.

Last night I was drinking a Hefe a friend made, he had dubbed this beer simply "Clove". So I am anticipating a beer with a phenolic nose to it and a spicy taste. I like cloves, but I am starting to wonder if I had a good understanding of their taste. When I smelled and drank this beer, i taste bubble gum, Bazooka bubble gun to be exact. It was a good beer, but my friend had dubbed this beer Clove, fermented at a lower temperature and used a yeast strain known for the clove characteristic, probably WLP 351, forgive me I am not sure. So what’s Up?

When I look at the BJCP Beer fault List, spicy phenolic is described as clove, pepper, vanilla, ect. So when I think about the bubblegum flavor, which has been characterized by some in the past as an ester, I think it is a combination of a phenol and an ester, whether it is a middle ground or a concentration of both I do not know. Typical banana ester with a vanilla flavor sounds like it could taste like bubblegum. I think if you have a fermentation that produces the banana flavors at higher temps and you also get cloves due to temperature flux or a mutation of your yeast strain you end up with a bubble gum flavor.

Any Takers?

Well we can end this thread, a common ester produced in fermentation is Ethyl acetate which tastes like Juicy Fruit, ding ding ding!!!

First post was quite a stretch, maybe I had too many of those "clove" beers last night,

Cheers, thanks for playing Yooper!

Up 'till the 50s or so, a major bubblegum manufacturer got their flavor from one of the still plates at jim beam. I would imagine that it's mostly amyl acetate. There was once some whisky is a small barrel. It tasted like cinnamon at first, and after a year or so, exactly like bubblegum. Maybe something to do with the vanillins in the oak pairing with the amyl acetate. Can't explain the cinnamon though.

Up 'till the 50s or so, a major bubblegum manufacturer got their flavor from one of the still plates at jim beam. I would imagine that it's mostly amyl acetate. There was once some whisky is a small barrel. It tasted like cinnamon at first, and after a year or so, exactly like bubblegum. Maybe something to do with the vanillins in the oak pairing with the amyl acetate. Can't explain the cinnamon though.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back