Ph Calculators Divergence - What do you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holden Caulfield

Reaction score
Over the years, I have been relying on MashMadeEasy and Bru’n Water to help me hit Ph targets. I always use RO, and my approach is to start with some back of the envelope calculations and A.J. deLanges Ph primer to determine a starting point then verify with Bru’n Water and MME.

Thank you Martin, Silver is Money, A. J. deLange for your incredible tools and guidance on Ph!

As other posts have raised, often, especially with roast malts and acid malts, these two wonderful tools diverge considerably. Currently, my approach is to add acid malt to my grain bill or add baking soda to my RO water that enables both programs to land between 5.25 – 5.5. I do not own, want to own, want to maintain a Ph meter and am happy getting in the ball park. I have read many of the threads on this phenomena, but have never walked away with a good approach on what to do.

How do others handle this situation? Of course, “get a meter” is a viable option but I don’t want to go there😊

Below is a Schwarzbier I plan on doing this weekend that illustrates the differences. Right now I will be adding .5% acid malt or .9 Oz. MME calculates the PH will be slightly above 5.5 and Bru'n calculates 5.28. My back of envelope calculation suggests; 5.75 base - .1 for salt additions - .175 for roast and crystal - .05 for acid = 5.425

1589917814550.png

1589917560519.png

1589917739649.png

How do others handle this situation? Of course, “get a meter” is a viable option but I don’t want to go there

then i just wouldn't worry about it.....but i use tap water also....

edit: i made beer for many a year, before i even worried about ph.....

Last edited:
Without a pH meter, pick the one that makes the best beer according to your palate. That's about all you can do.

I agree. It is kind of like worrying about the speed in your car but not wanting to get a speedometer. I would just use your best judgement and have a homebrew.

Back