Pets and why we hate them...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a former animal control officer who's investigated numerous dog bites, this is why I advocate lengthy prison terms, breed specific bans, and serious financial loss to owners of aggressive dogs. The thought of someone owning a dog who attacks because of someone looking at them strikes me the same way as a gangbanger shooting up a neighborhood because he was "disrepected". Both type of vicious animals should be put down in the same manner.

Yeah why not ban the breed, they are at fault..... As a former animal control officer you might want to do some research.

My dog loves everyone until told otherwise or if they try and break in to my house or hurt someone in their family. That is the way a true personal protection dog should act. We should put down the bangers, not the dogs.

You give Schutzhund dogs a bad name. Schutzhund training should only be undertaken with stable, well adjusted animals - more so when one undertakes civil work associated with protection training. These dogs should also complete significant obedience training before undertaking serious bite work (obedience is part of the Schutzhund training). Generally speaking, police trained dogs are very stable, no department can afford to have a bite machine that will react to perceived threats such as eye contact.

Point is, some dogs will respond to extended eye contact as a challenge therefore it is not good practice.

Mike the dog is stable but I can promise you if you come into my house and try and stare it down it will rip your arm off. Same as if you were swinging a bat or weilding a knife.

Mike the dog is stable but I can promise you if you come into my house and try and stare it down it will rip your arm off. Same as if you were swinging a bat or weilding a knife.

No worries, I won't. I'm kinda’ partial to my arms. :D Stare downs are not my style. :mug:

when i saw what happened, i yelled "NO!," grabbed his little ass and put his face next to the poop and hit him lightly, but firmly on the body.

Then SWMBO proceeding to take the dog upstairs to his crate and console him a bit (thereby erasing all my discipline). Wonderful.

As a former animal control officer who's investigated numerous dog bites, this is why I advocate lengthy prison terms, breed specific bans, and serious financial loss to owners of aggressive dogs. The thought of someone owning a dog who attacks because of someone looking at them strikes me the same way as a gangbanger shooting up a neighborhood because he was "disrepected". Both type of vicious animals should be put down in the same manner.

IMHO, breed bans are like racial bans... If you support one I can only assume you:
A: know nothing about pack animal behavior and traits (humans are pack animals too...)
B: would support both

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. Punish the deed not the breed.

And as a formal animal control officer I'm sure you know the statistics which do NOT back up breed bans. You also know that many of the dogs labeled by the media as "pit bulls" are nothing of the sort - they're often labradorks or the like.

when i saw what happened, i yelled "NO!," grabbed his little ass and put his face next to the poop and hit him lightly, but firmly on the body.

Then SWMBO proceeding to take the dog upstairs to his crate and console him a bit (thereby erasing all my discipline). Wonderful.

Sounds like SWMBO needs training more than the puppy does...

I watched disney's "Snow dogs" the other day. If you are faced with a ferociously rabid macho eat your brains dog, you just have to bite it's ear and he will love you forever and you will live together in a rainbow castle.

rub her nose in it the next time .... :p

training a dog is like raising a child if both 'parents" aren't on the same page it wont work

I'm I the only one who likes cats? Nothing against dogs, but I live in an apartment so a dog is a little out of the question. The moment you put a litter box in the house, that's the only place a cat will go. And the question about breeding the wolf out of the dog... Cats have never been domesticated, we just trap them in our homes, and they take it like a champ. :D

IMHO, breed bans are like racial bans... If you support one I can only assume you:
A: know nothing about pack animal behavior and traits (humans are pack animals too...)

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. Punish the deed not the breed.

And as a formal animal control officer I'm sure you know the statistics which do NOT back up breed bans. You also know that many of the dogs labeled by the media as "pit bulls" are nothing of the sort - they're often labradorks or the like.

+1 bazillon to this!

The reality is that 95% of dog owners have no idea of what makes a dog tick.

My dog swallowed my watch. I know what makes him tick.

Joke if you must, but alot of good dogs end up being gassed because their ******* owners don't know enough to 1-spay/neuter their pets and 2-properly train them.

I'm no expert myself, but the majority of dog owners out there would be well served by either watching or reading Cesar Milan and taking what he says to heart.

Joke if you must, but alot of good dogs end up being gassed because their ******* owners don't know enough to 1-spay/neuter their pets and 2-properly train them.

I'm no expert myself, but the majority of dog owners out there would be well served by either watching or reading Cesar Milan and taking what he says to heart.

The problem with Cesar milan is that he is insanely gifted with a talent that cannot be passed on to mere mortals via a TV programme. You can look at what he does, you can try his methods for yourself, but you will always come up short.

I think this is a perfect example of the natural selection at work from another thread :)

So, what is the race equivalent of Godwin's Law? There has to be one, because it's always the point where the thread takes a massive nose dive.

Yes, clearly, believing in breed bans for dogs is equivalent to believing in racial genocide...get a grip people!!! ;)

I watched disney's "Snow dogs" the other day. If you are faced with a ferociously rabid macho eat your brains dog, you just have to bite it's ear and he will love you forever and you will live together in a rainbow castle.

that was Beverly Hills chihuahua ... get your Disney dog moves straight.

Your discipline? You mean stupidity right? Dog training has progressed so far that everyone should know this is not the correct thing to do. Do us all a favor and research crate training.

It honestly is simple, for the dog. Honestly 95% of training is on the human side. I can teach a dog sit, stay,down,place, and come all with-in a couple days but if the owners dont enforce/practice it the dog will do whatever it wants.

The problem with Cesar milan is that he is insanely gifted with a talent that cannot be passed on to mere mortals via a TV programme. You can look at what he does, you can try his methods for yourself, but you will always come up short.

Perhaps-but if you try and institute maybe 50% of what Cesar does you are going to have a better dog than if you didn't do anything at all. Just because you MIGHT come up short doesn't mean you shouldn't try in the first place. My feeling is that if someone isn't aren't interested in trying that maybe pet ownership isn't for them.

I agree Cesar is insanely gifted and so he can be successful training those near feral dogs he ends up with. I speak from personal experience when I say that following just a little bit of his advice will be more than enough to train 90% of the dog's out there...at least is worked for us.

Just from the little I've gleaned from Cesar, I'm almost 100% sure I know what the OP's issues are with his dog. If the OP took the time to watch any one of the many shows where Cesar dealt with a small dog, I'm sure he'd have his answer of why his dog is taking a dump in his house. But I'm not going to armchair quarterback...its his problem, not mine.

My parrot goes into attack-mode once in a while.

IMG_0779.jpg

But I still love him!

I'm guessing your Cane Corso needed little training to be a personal protection dog. Most dogs will naturally protect thier pack. I would prefer a little of the instinct to be trained out of my GSD but thats another story. I think you end up with the pet that you were meant to have. A few lessons learned on both sides are what pets are for.

To the OP, Dude try taking your dog out about every hour and a half and teaching it to "go potty" on command. It takes very little effort. When you take them out and they start to go, repeat the phrase of choice. Both of my dogs (GSD and Heeler) will squirt even if they dont "have to." I'll also second(3rd, 4th?) the "it takes a team" posts. Cheers.

You give Schutzhund dogs a bad name. Schutzhund training should only be undertaken with stable, well adjusted animals - more so when one undertakes civil work associated with protection training. These dogs should also complete significant obedience training before undertaking serious bite work (obedience is part of the Schutzhund training). Generally speaking, police trained dogs are very stable, no department can afford to have a bite machine that will react to perceived threats such as eye contact.

Point is, some dogs will respond to extended eye contact as a challenge therefore it is not good practice.

Just wanted to say HEY to other Schutzhund folks out there. For those who don't know, Schutzhund is a three-part sport: Obedience, Tracking, and Protection. A dog competes in the all three phases during a trial. It is a sport these days, but started as a temperament test by the guy who founded the German Shepherd Dog breed 110 years ago. He found that other people were selling similar looking dogs as GSDs even though they lacked the behavioral characteristics he had worked so hard to bring to the breed. He developed the Schutzhund test as a way to weed out the weaker dogs - you didn't have a real German Shepherd unless it could pass the three phase exam.

My wife has been training dogs all her life, starting with Shelties in AKC obedience. She took up Schutzhund when we got our first German Shepherd over 15 years ago and we've been a GSD-only household since then. Every dog has earned their SchHIII (highest level of the sport) and we've even had a couple go to the National and North American championships. On the field they are bad-asses, but they're regular dogs around the house. I still wouldn't recommend adopting a threatening posture and giving prolonged eye contact though. That goes not just for our animals, but any dog of reasonable size...

Pics of my dogs in the Pets - Why We Love Them thread

I'm guessing your Cane Corso needed little training to be a personal protection dog. Most dogs will naturally protect thier pack. I would prefer a little of the instinct to be trained out of my GSD but thats another story. I think you end up with the pet that you were meant to have. A few lessons learned on both sides are what pets are for.

To the OP, Dude try taking your dog out about every hour and a half and teaching it to "go potty" on command. It takes very little effort. When you take them out and they start to go, repeat the phrase of choice. Both of my dogs (GSD and Heeler) will squirt even if they dont "have to." I'll also second(3rd, 4th?) the "it takes a team" posts. Cheers.

He didnt need a lot, but I put him thru a lot to make sure in real life situations he would not run off when threatened. He was trained in prey and defensive drive to make sure he is well rounded. I use to bring him to my store every day to socalize him with people, because without that sometimes they get a little too attached to one person and more guard oriented.

Just wanted to say HEY to other Schutzhund folks out there. For those who don't know, Schutzhund is a three-part sport: Obedience, Tracking, and Protection. A dog competes in the all three phases during a trial. It is a sport these days, but started as a temperament test by the guy who founded the German Shepherd Dog breed 110 years ago. He found that other people were selling similar looking dogs as GSDs even though they lacked the behavioral characteristics he had worked so hard to bring to the breed. He developed the Schutzhund test as a way to weed out the weaker dogs - you didn't have a real German Shepherd unless it could pass the three phase exam.

My wife has been training dogs all her life, starting with Shelties in AKC obedience. She took up Schutzhund when we got our first German Shepherd over 15 years ago and we've been a GSD-only household since then. Every dog has earned their SchHIII (highest level of the sport) and we've even had a couple go to the National and North American championships. On the field they are bad-asses, but they're regular dogs around the house. I still wouldn't recommend adopting a threatening posture and giving prolonged eye contact though. That goes not just for our animals, but any dog of reasonable size...

Pics of my dogs in the Pets - Why We Love Them thread

Great info for the people looking to get into the sport! I had to do a powerpoint on Schutzhund past and present day, if I can find it I will shoot it over to ya for your opinion.

Cats crap in your mouth while you are sleeping.

Yep, that's what causes "morning breath." :D I do like cats though, well I like MY cat. Some (not all) cats are better used as fish bait, but then I could say the same about some dogs & some humans too. Regards, GF.
Edit: No, I didn't mean any cats, dogs, or humans on this site... Just thought I should put that disclaimer out there. :D

in response to the coyote pup. My dog Chief was half coyote. great gentle dog. Loved kids, was trainable if he saw benefit for him. he knew if you had the treat and ignored you without food.

Main problem was some housebreaking issues. he would go outside, but if it was raining out he would just as well drop in a corner.

Also the escape thing. We had a ten foot fence with an overhang and he would still get out. Killed rabbits, birds, chickens, cats. and left them all on our door step during his three day excursions away from the house. catching him was not an option unless the kids at the bus stop grabed him. he would only get within range of kids while running.

Great dog and i'd love to get another dog with some spark in them again

Yesterday was grooming/annual vaccine day. Over $300 including a 7 month supply of Revolution.:mad: Meh...I guess it's not that bad.

I switched vets and this vet questioned the previous vet always giving a 'lepto' shot (I think that's what they called it). And there was some 'combo' shot (I think parvo was included among others) they gave that the other vet didn't. Strange. But for whatever reason I feel more comfortable with the new vet (which was why I changed, previous vet felt like an auto repair shop with 'free' brake inspections).

We've been reading one of Cesar Milan's book because we have a 'bad dog'. Of course the problem is us..not the dog. We treat our dogs like family too much, so they don't think they are dogs, and don't fall into line in the 'pack' like they should.

I also think he's got some mental issues...reading about 'fear/aggression' issues, it seems like he can only react in two ways...hiding or a full on attack. If he can identify the 'threat' he always attacks (which is bad for our other dog who is pretty well behaved and timid).

Wow... they were right when they said that you'd take some slack for this post! I personally couldn't live without dogs. That being said, I don't even consider those small dogs like Yorkies to be "dogs". I'm a big dog kinda guy. Last two dogs have been boxers and they're amazing.

Yeah, puppies will poop on the floor every once in a while. Don't babys $hit in their pants? Training is what all dogs need. They need a PACK LEADER. If you don't become the alpha in the group, they will walk all over you. They need structure and it sounds like your girlfriend can't provide that for them and you're unwilling to do so.

Best of luck to you! One more thing, make sure you don't freak out on the dog if it does $hit on the floor. If you do, they'll learn how to push your buttons!

Back