Periods of abstinence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeymath

Reaction score
Who of you exercises periods of abstinence or has done so in the past? How often do you do it and for how long? Do you consume other (non-alcoholic) beverages during that period in order to maintain certain rituals or do you purposefully break them? What's your motivation to do them? How do you feel during and after those periods?

I don't want this to turn into a discussion about whether or not you should exercise such periods of abstinence, I'm just looking to hear your experiences with them.

Cheers!
~ Daniel

I don't consciously abstain. Sometimes things just get busy. And actually, I don't drink nightly like most of ya'll. About one or two beers per week is pretty typical of me. So sometimes I just forget or am too busy, or I get hooked on something else, like milk or Coke or iced tea or coffee or whatever. I like other things besides alcohol. Believe it or not, there is more to life.

That said, I've been drinking a lot more recently. Maybe 5 or 6 beers per week -- wow! :D

Cheers all.

My longest period of abstinence from beer is just over six years due to stomach problems. During that period, I sometimes drank very little brandy. It was very difficult for me and I couldn't wait to be able to drink beer again.

I am married and we have 4 children, including a set 4.5 year old triplet boys.

Abstinence just comes with the territory at this point...

Holy shitsnacks, TRIPLETS ?!
Our first child was born just two weeks ago - me being her mattress at night is the reason for my current period of abstinence, and the motivation for this thread - and I know she is relatively easygoing as far as newborns go. i couldn't imagine having three of those around.
Wow, kudos!

Who of you exercises periods of abstinence or has done so in the past? How often do you do it and for how long? Do you consume other (non-alcoholic) beverages during that period in order to maintain certain rituals or do you purposefully break them? What's your motivation to do them? How do you feel during and after those periods?

I don't want this to turn into a discussion about whether or not you should exercise such periods of abstinence, I'm just looking to hear your experiences with them.

Cheers!
~ Daniel

I do breaks of about 30 days….generally happens in March with the start of baseball season and the last keg kicking. I don’t do anything to replace the beer, mainly because there is no time between all the prep work that goes into the baseball. There really is no motivation….it just happens every year…and if by some happenstance that it doesn’t, no big deal.

Abstain definition: restrain oneself from doing or enjoying something.
I abstain from drinking 8%+ ABV beers except on special occasions. Other than that I've been trying to brew and drink some 3.5-4% beers so I guess I can claim I'm cutting back. So since I'm not enjoying regular 6% beers, technically, I'm abstaining!
Abstinence isn't all that bad.....
:bott:

well, i used to abstain when my calories were creaping up in my calculate avg..it was good for me, but now with too much free time, i pretty much drink all day every day. and it's not good for me, makes it a pain to get the nutrients from food into me....i can barley make it work with gluco.

but if you've got a kiddo, i'd imagine if you have to be ready to drive ALL THE TIME! or have a second designated driver...

My system is set up for abstinence (at least from homebrew). I've got a two tap kegerator and one tap is dedicated to soda water. My kegerator also doubles as my Ferm Chamber. So when a homebrew keg kicks its not filled again until I brew again which is usually a month or longer.

I've got kids and a 4-6hour brew day is hard to squeeze in without the Mrs getting all up in a tissy... So I brew 3-4 times a year and a keg will usually last me about 3 months so it's obvious I'm not drinking every day.

I do also enjoy whiskey and the occasional wine but a bottle of whiskey usually lasts me 6 months to a year.

Our first child was born just two weeks ago - me being her mattress at night is the reason for my current period of abstinence,
Well... i don't got no kids myself, so take my opinion with some salt, but reading that makes me think... you got a lifetime to drink. Those memories you wrote above tend to leave in a blink...
So... sounds to me like a great reason to abstain for the time being.

Congrats!!

Periods of abstinence...
I brewed 30 gallons worth the two months before my kiddo was born, thinking it would be enough for one beer a night for the first 6 months. Tapped my first keg at the start of month 4. Really glad I closed transfered all of these beers.
Other than that, I dont drink during December and January during off-season conditioning/workouts. Not that I'm trying to be healthy, but between work, gym, workouts, and chores around the house, there isn't really time for a beer.

Sometimes I go a few days or longer if I feel my health is a little under the weather or I'm dehydrated or otherwise need a sort of "detox". But I don't generally drink that much on a daily basis anyway, maybe 1-2 drinks in the evening, so if I skip them for a few days I don't feel I'm "abstaining", I just "went to bed early" :p

Five years, but I came back because of a HB beer that a friend made, and I got the bug.
Usually I restraint myself to a limit of two bottles a week.

After these replies, I've realized that some of you guys are drinking too much. Kkk

Cheers!

As a married fellow, there is a lot more abstinence going on in my home than I'd like.

Jk.

I typically only drink on weekends. I will occasionally have one or two beers mid week if work has been tough, or sometimes even a glass of wine.

I'm also a devout Catholic, so I try my hardest to not drink past the point of hilarity when I do have more than a couple 🤪

Last edited:

Cheers!
~ Daniel
I enjoy the brew session, almost as much as I enjoy the end product 🤪
So, I find myself wanting to brew - thus, I’m always on the end of my taps attempting to empty a keg so that I can refill it - I Started brewing when I was 18, I’m 52 now and in great shape. I cannot remember when I went a long period without a beer 🤔
Having said this, I try to make my beer with lower alcohol content now - “try” Is the key word here 😉 As well, I always eat well when I’m drinking - better for the liver 🤪

I'm sure most people who know me think I drink all the time because my hobby and passion are making alcoholic beverages. I make many different types of beers, wines, meads and liquors. And I enjoying consuming the beverages I make and also teaching and encouraging others to make their own. But I don't drink every day. And I rarely consume enough to get intoxicated. Additionally I enjoy visiting breweries, wineries and distilleries. With that said I drink responsibility and abstain when necessary.

Have done so in the past but it's been awhile. Did it when I thought I was drinking to much or when my body told me too. usually for a couple of weeks with no substitutes really for peace of mind or to let me know that I can stop drinking if I want to. Always feel good during the break, probably time to do it again.

I enjoy the small scale brewing process and ave maybe a pint a week. Go through a bottle of top shelf Scotch in about a year. Now coffee is a whole different animal. I am a home roaster and have a big cup of strong coffee every day without fail.

I actually stopped drinking coffee all together, probably one of the hardest things Ive done but it was clashing with my anxiety and now my wife will occasionally make me a latte and I bounce off the walls for a little while, I used to drink at least a pot a day. As for beer, I may take a week off here and there but I typically put back 5 to 6 a day.

For health reasons I abstain from sodas, bottled water, bubbly water or seltzer ... Beer for my health and the environment. There are days when I skip the beer and have coffee, espresso, tap water, but other than those I just drink beer.

I generally don't drink except on Friday thru Sunday. And then its maybe 1 or 2 at the most. I can't think of the last time I was "drunk."

But I sometimes take a couple weeks off due to circumstances, like visiting family out of town.

And it does make it taste a little better if it's been several weeks or a month.

I usually drink beer at supper as a table beverage so I am pretty stable at 1beer/day, sometimes i don't though, and maybe one or two extra on friday and saturday so about 7-10 beers/week. don't really see any need to take breaks with that level of consumption.
Although now that wife and kids are gone for the week and the fridge has been filled etc, it's more like 7-10/day, beer is just too damn good to not drink a lot of when you know you can just drink and not give a F.

I shoot for 1-2 pints a day. If I drink less, I don't get to brew as often, as I also am limited by the space in the keezer. For obvious reasons, I haven't been sharing as much beer as I have in the past, so not brewing as often as I would like. 1 tap is always mineral water, so that only leaves 1 for an IPA daily drinker and 1 for something else (or carbing a keg for bottling to make room).

2 years ago, I looked in the mirror and said whoaaa! Who is that fat guy? From that day to today, I stopped drinking beer or any alcohol during the week (Monday through Thursday), started working out as often as possible (walking, stand up paddling and roller blading primarily) and started watching my diet (both portions and type of food). It was tough not to reach for a beer every night when standing in front of the keezer, but I got used to it and it became routine for me. It also helped that I converted one of my 4 taps to soda water or hop water and another tap to kombucha. After a year and half, I lost 40 pounds and feel great. In addition, I have to say that first beer on a Friday after work tastes better than any beer I can remember drinking during years I drank beer every night.

Back