Perfect comparison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
I just compared my all grain American IPA from my keg with a Deschutes(sp) Brewing Invernes IPA - it was a dead ringer! Color on mine was slightly lighter, and mouthfeel was not as rich as theirs, but aroma, taste, and bitterness was spot on. Thing is, this was not my goal. I made the APA a few weeks ago and knew it was a solid batch, but over the weekend I bought a sixer of the Invernes IPA and thought - that tastes just like mine. Got home and did a side by side comparison and it was.

Does this mean my beer is good enough to sell ;)

Sounds like you nailed a house brew fer sher to me. I did that with my last 2-3 extract batches. I made an APA that has a malt profile/color real close to DFH's IPA malt flavor/color. I also used the same recipe with different hop schedule for an IPA. These close comparisons rules!

Cool! I just did an IPA and the inversion was my inspiration. I ended up coming pretty darn close and it is very good! The only thing I would change is that I think I need to back off on my citra hops a bit. Other than that I think my malt profile, bitterness and color and very close. I will be brewing this one again for sure!

Inversion is really tasty, but in a recent blind taste test by some local beer experts held by the Bend Bulletin, it didn't even make the top 3 IPAs produced in Central Oregon. Was pretty surprised by this. What was your hop schedule?

Inversion is really tasty, but in a recent blind taste test by some local beer experts held by the Bend Bulletin, it didn't even make the top 3 IPAs produced in Central Oregon. Was pretty surprised by this. What was your hop schedule?

Thanks for the polite correction ;)

I did a three part hop schedule, then dry hopped. 60 min, 30 min, 5 min, then dry hop in the fermenter for a week. I really like their Porter so I tried their IPA when I found it this week. I agree, for me it is one of the better IPAs out there. I am a hop head and really like IPAs, but for some reason Dogfish heads IPA and similar ones do not do it for me. I find I lean more towards American IPAs than the traditional.

That is very surprising. It's definitely one of my favorite IPA's.

The DFH IPA's seem to be a British malt profile from the original. But with an extreme American hop schedule. Mine is basically an English IPA with American hops. More citrus flavors made better with the English fruity esters intensifying the flavors of the citrusy hops. I found out from reading the BJCP IPA guidelines that mine is pretty much in 14A by those things,plus OG1.050,FG 1,010.
Sam wanted his DFH IPA's to have some malt flavor before the hops bash you between the eyes. I tend to agree.

I really like it too. Here's the writeup.

Still haven't had the winner from Old Mill Brew Wërks, but the close second place Hoodoo Voodoo from Three Creeks is fantastic.

Thanks for the link, good read. I'll have to look around for some of those other brews and give them a try. An Oregon trip is on my list hopefully sooner than later, haven't been up there in a few years.

Back