Peppermint Milk Stout, need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarrettMD

Reaction score
I am thinking of brewing a peppermint milk stout sometime soon, I just don't know how much peppermint to use. I don't want it to be too overpowering, just a nice slight peppermint taste that lingers on the finish. I'm thinking of just tacking peppermint on to the Left Hand Milk Stout Clone recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/)

Any thoughts on the amount to use? And should I use peppermint leaves? extract? anything else? I'm just completely in the dark on how to add peppermint taste to my beer, thought this was the perfect place to go for help.

I'd brew the milk stout and then add extract. I guess you could add leaves in secondary instead. Either way you go, add a small amount, wait a couple of days and taste. If it needs more, repeat until you're happy. Just remember if you add too much you can't take it back but if you add too little you can always add more.

You will probably have to look in the spices at the grocery store in the different extracts they have. They will probably have a peppermint extract. I'd start off with maybe 0.25 ounces in five gallons to start. I'm not sure how potent peppermint leaves are.

Back