Milk Chocolate Stout AG vs Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumpher

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered 2 NB Chocolate Milk Stouts; 1 Extract and 1 ag. I plan to brew them same day, same water, same ferm temps and same ferm time. I'm curious about any differences in a fairly complex brew Extract vs ag in this 1. I know there should be very little to none, but let's see how a beer judge rates them.

Last edited:
Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

:popcorn:

Are these the NB Milk Chocolate Stout kits?
I plan to brew them same day, same water, same ferm temps and same ferm time. I'm curious about any differences in a fairly complex brew Extract vs ag in this 1. I know there should be very little to none
  • The algorithmic conversion of a recipe from all-grain to extract is an approximation.
  • There are often noticeable flavor in base malts from different maltsters.
  • There are often noticeable flavor differences between the same specalty malt (e.g. Crystal 60) from different maltsters.
  • There are often noticeable flavor differences between the same style of DME/LME from different maltsters.
  • DME/LME will contain the minerals from the source water from the maltster. This is missing from the 'all-grain' ingredients.
  • Steeping crystal malts may not produce the same result as mashing crystal malts.
  • If LME is used, the freshness of the ingredient may be a consideration.
All of this has been talked about here at HomeBrewTalk (as well as AHA forums and /r/homebrewing) over the last five years.

I see plenty of opportunity for two noticably different, yet equally enjoyable, beers.

Yep, I realize they really won't be exact, and I've read many posts over the last 15 years about differences as well as having done many of each type. I've never done a side by side experiment for myself, though, so I'm curious about my results. I'll enjoy them both, and maybe answer some of my own curiosity. Never anything like doing something yourself and seeing your results instead of just reading and wondering, though.

I look forward to the results as well. Last year we used the extract kit, added cinnamon and vanilla, and the beer was wonderful. We have since made the transition to all grain and ordered 2 of the all grain kits. Working on finishing a basement has hit the pause button on brewing for a bit.

Back