Pellicle in Kettle Sour? Or Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bglass77

Reaction score
For this beer I did a 2L starter made with Swanson L.Plantarum Probiotics. No off flavors or smells in the starter.

Mash/Sparge as usual, then boiled for 15 minutes. Cooled the Wort to 95F and adjusted the pH to 4.5. Pitched the 2L L.Plantarum starter and held temp for 20 hours, which brought me down to a pH of 3.6. No off smells or pellicle formed during this time in the kettle. I then boiled for 60 minutes, chilled and racked into my fermenter. The Saccharomyces strain I pitched at this time was Wyeast 1318 London Ale III.

Yesterday I opened up the fermenter to dry hop the beer and noticed a pellicle like formation on the top of the beer. It looks very powdery/chalky. The color to my eye appears to be white and it appears on top of the beer, as well as up the sides of the fermenter, up to where the krausen ring stops.

Thoughts? Should I dump this? That this happened after the boil would seem to indicate something else made it's way into the fermenter. Possible sanitation issue?

IMG-1.jpg

Back