Pellicle before active fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
I did a sour 6 days ago with ECY Flemish Blend, also threw dregs from a Cantillon two days in. I haven't seen any activity at all, just the formation of thin oily sorta brett-like looking pellicle. There has been zero motion in the wort or activity at all. I've done over half a dozen sours and haven't seen this before.

Normal? Pitch some more sacch? Any thoughts?

I think not getting activity for a few days is a good thing. Lets the bugs get off to a good start. However, I usually pitch some fresh sacc if I haven't seen anything after a few days. A belgian if I have it available. I usually have plenty of slurry around.

I pitch the sacc to make sure the beer ferments with sacc; eventually the brett will run the primary if you don't get sacc in there.

Yeah, I figured 6 days is enough to warrant some more sacch. I don't have anything belgian laying around so added half a pack of S05. I figure if there's any sacch working at all it should create some flavor compounds, and if not the cali strain will at least do the work.

Yeah, if I don't get visible signs of fermentation after 7 days, I will pitch some Sacch. I think that if you go too long you can expose the beer to oxygen/infection. I let one go for a month once before pitching more yeast, and it turned out very oxidated (although that could have also come letting the airlocks go dry for too long).

I'm also experiencing this right now. It's been about 72 hours since I pitched a slurry of 677, Beersel Brett and Cascade Dregs I had saved from my last Berliner. My last one I started with 677 only, added the Brett and Dregs after a few days, & pitched warm, like 100-110. I wasnt considering the Brett in the mix this time and pitched a little warmer like 115 probably and wonder if I did the Brett in.

I purged it with co2 and wrapped it in a blanket like last time except its no longer warm enough to keep it in my shed as it was back in July. Anyway, theres a good looking pellicle forming but Ive had no activity in my blowoff jug. Not sure what I should do here?

I was going to take a gravity reading to see if any sugars have been consumed if I dont see anything by tomorrow.

Necro-ing this thread to say that the beer turned out phenomenal. Churning fermentation did occur after a couple more days but it was never all that violent. An initial lack of activity isn't really something I worry about anymore.

Latest posts

Back