Pectic Enzymes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Hi there. I was hoping to make a better first post, but here goes. I've been lurking a bit and on my 5th batch of cider from store bought juice. I've usually added the pectic enzyme at the same time as sugar, nutrient and hydrated yeast.

I'm still going through the pasteurization thread sticky, but read there that pectic enzyme doesn't dissolve well and should be added twelve hours before yeast. So with the start of this latest batch, after adding the sugar and getting that shook in well, I added the enzyme and even with vigorous shaking, I do see the 'clumping' enzyme(?). Is there something I forgot? Like should I have dissolved the enzyme in something first, or will it be ok to sit overnight?

I guess it is a moot point at this time, maybe for future info.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to sharing my cider adventures with y'all.

It will be ok to let it sit overnight. Personnally not sure its necessary but wont hurt. I do disolve / mix pectic enzyme in a little must before adding. But the ferment once active should more than break up your little clumps.

Well, thank you all. And it's funny that right about the same time as I got the notice of CKuhns post last night, I checked my must and the enzyme had already dissolved. So I added the nutrient and this morning put in the yeast.

Thanks again, this is a great site.

Back