pectic enzyme viability after freezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark180

Reaction score
I recently got an order of pectic enzyme delivered in freezing temperature (about 17°F). I am wondering if it is still viable. I know that it will de-nature above a certain temperature, but I don't know about the effect of freezing temperatures on it.

The reason I ask is because I made 2 5 gal. batches of cider this Fall. I usually use dried pectic enzyme and cider yeast. Even though it was "Cider Day" at the shop that I got the freshly pressed cider, they neither had the powdered pectic enzyme I am used to using, nor any cider yeast. They did have liquid pectic enzyme, which I used. It has been in the primary fermentors for a couple of months. It is still very cloudy. I have never had this happen before. I would like to add powdered pectic enzyme and gelatin to help try to clear it. I have never had to add anything but the powdered pectic enzyme in the past to get totally clear cider in the past. Since I have 2 new variables this year, I want to add a second dose of Pectic enzyme and gelatin to try to clear it up. But, as I said above, the pectic enzyme arrived in sub-freezing temperatures, and I don't know if it is still viable.

If anyone has any experience with these conditions, I would love to hear about them.

Pectinase powder won't be affected by cold.

However, it will be less effective in the presence of alcohol.

Your shop was completely out of wine yeast?? And beer yeast? Pretty much anything will ferment cider.
I get unpasteurized juice so half the time I don't even add yeast to it.

Thanks for the replies. As for the yeast, it was a beer yeast. I just hadn't used this particular one before, therefore I don't know how floculant it is.

Back