Peach flavors from us05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloose

Reaction score
I'm picking up a bit of peach flavor from beer I ferment with Us05 (which is basically everything)..let me preface this by saying "I don't hate it, I actually like it"

Regardless of fermentation temps really - from low to mid 60s in my swamp cooler to 72ish in my buddies house. is there a way to reduce these peachy esters?

thanks a bunch.

I noticed that I get that more at lower temperatures- so my fix has been to not use S05 all that much anymore and use it only above 65 degrees, preferably 68 degrees.

I know "everybody" says that s05 and Wyeast 1056 and WLP001 are the same chico strain, but it's due to this I don't think so.

I can use WLP001 and not get a hint of peach at any temperature, but I do with s05.

The only thing I've experienced with s05 is that at 68-72 degrees, the esters are quite a bit less.

Hmm thanks yooper. Maybe when my current stock of s05 vials runs out I'll start storing some 001, 1056 or maybe even notty or pacman...

I love s05 though because its reliable, versatile, cheap, and it takes off like a rocket. :/

I've also gotten the peach flavor fermenting in the low 60's. Anything above 65F for me and the peach is not noticable at all. i think 05 can handle slightly higher temps and do just fine. i once pitched 05 into 70F wort that rose to 75f with almost no detectable off flavor

I too have noticed slight peach flavors but only when fermenting in the low 60's. 65 and above it seems goes away. My palate may not be as refined as some however :D

Man I've been getting nothing but peachiness from 05. It's not a bad flavor, but it muddles hop flavors. I'm doing an IPA this weekend and leaving it at ambient 66 (no swamp cooler), assuming it'll ferment in the 70 range. If this doesn't cut it, I'm ditching 05 for 001 or 1056.

Back