Paulaner Oktoberfest Deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just sampled my first bottle of HB Festbier today and it turned out rather nice. It was 87 % Pilsner, 10 % Munich and 3 % Aromatic. Hopped for 60 minutes with 23 IBU of Hallertau Mittelfruh and lagered at 40 F for 7 weeks. Initially it had that sulfur smell, but that dissipated during lagering and is now gone. About the only negative that i can see is that it doesn't have much head retention. Perhaps it needs some maltodextrin or wheat next time. Otherwise, it is a decent replica of beers that I had in Munich biergartens.

Fwiw, this is off their website.....

4FA0858D-2D4A-4062-BFC7-F923CDCE7A08.jpeg

This is my attempt at a festbier, considerable darker(hazier too) than the paulaner. 80% best pilsner, 15% Vienna and 5% melanoidin. Next year no melanoidin and maybe half the vienna.
IMG_4411 - Copy.jpg

The Paulaner looked nice but was bad, smelled and tasted oxidized I am assuming poor storage and handling.

I was at Total Wine in Delaware this past weekend and they had a bunch of them. I was at the one in Wilmington. The one in Claymont is bigger.

I’d use Pilsner as the base and maybe 10-20% Munich. Forget the Crystal. 90 minute boil, but there will be a bunch of brewers who will boil 60. I do 90 with Pilsner, that’s another thread….

I’d use Hallertau Mittlefruh at 60 min to about 15-20 IBU, and remove the 30 min addition. This is a malt forward beer.

My favorite yeast is WLP833 German Bock. Lager 90 days if you can stay away from it that long.
Tradition is also a commonly used hop in these beers.

Back