Pasteurizing beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is no real need ... yeast is harmless and assuming you properly sanitized everything (bottles and caps included) there is no risk of harmful infection.

doesn't mean there aren't times you want to kill off the yeast.... for example, lindemans lambic is sweet.. it MUST have been pasteurized.....

I too would be very interested in the techniques homebrewers use to pasteurize. This is a practice I have been wanting to explore but I am not sure the best way to go about it.

Not that I'd ever do it, but...
Prior to carbonation, in a closed vessel, heat to 140F (I think. Might be 170F.) And hold for 5 minutes or so. Then chill back to serving temperature as quickly as possible.
Of course, now you have flat beer. You'd have to force carb or use a bottling yeast.

Also, if you scroll to the bottom of this page, you'll see you're not the first to ask this question. :)

145F for 30 minutes or 5 seconds @ 170F (no idea how you could do that at home, as you would have to do it under pressure to avoid boiling off the alcohol).

i made this, i put beer bottles in my BK filled with water, warm the water at 73 celsius degrees, wait for 10-30 min, drain the hot water, add water at room temp (use a hose to fill the BK from the bottom) wait 10-20 min, drain the water, add cold water around 10 celsius degrees, wait 10-20 min (fill from the bottom) drain the cold water. So have to have your bottles well capped because co2 expands with warm temps also use new bottle if you can they resist more pressure

Back