Partial Mash, weird instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juslod

Reaction score
I just got a kit from Xtreme Brewing (xtremebrewing.com) that has some confusing instructions. I have done plenty of steeping special grains in extract kits. The ingredients are:

8 oz Black patent malt
8 oz Roasted barely
1 lb 60L Crystal
1 lb Flaked Barely
6 lb Dark DME
3/4 oz Warrior 60 min
1/2 oz Vanguard 30 min
Safale S04 Yeast

The kit came with 2 grain bags for all of the grains and the instructions read this:

1. Fill brewpot with water, add gypsum and stir.
2. Fill 2 grain bags with the grains.
3. Tie off the top and place bags in brewpot.
4. Heat the pot and stir the water and grain bags every 5 minutes.
5. Just as the water reaches 170 degrees, pull out the grain bags.

From there it just starts the boil, adds the DME / bittering hops etc.

Is it safe to assume this is just a steeping process, or because of the barely / added malts I need to do a mash for an hour? The instructions just make it sound like I will be steeping the grains for a short amount of time, because it wont take long to reach 170 degrees from my burner...

That is weird. I personally would want to steep the grains for at least 30 minutes or even more at 151 before raising the temp.

So you would just steep the grains rather then do a 60 minute mash for them? I wasn't sure with that amount or those types of grains if I would get everything out of them by just steeping.

Sounds good though, :drunk:

Well, with no base malts you really don't have to do a mash, but it wouldn't hurt to hold them for an hour. I probably would. It can't hurt. It does look tasty.

Ok, that is what I will do then... I was thinking of adding some chocolate to this recipe as well, maybe some cocoa at flame out. What would you think and any clue on how much? I would just be guessing, this is my first stout!

I wouldn't, but that is just me. I use nothing but grains and hops and sometimes honey in my beers. Once years ago I put just a touch of rasberry extract in half a batch of stout. That was kind of cool. The beer tasted kind of like tootsie roll pops.

sparge time...... I am brewing

I am making the same thing I am drinking today, which is pretty rare. I hardley ever duplicate a batch this close together. It is not really a duplicate though, because I am using 10 pounds of morris otter in my base grains where the original was 12 pounds of two row.

10 # morris otter
2 # two row
1/2 # vienna
1/2 # rye

boil for 30 minutes then add

1 oz Citra Hops for 60
1/2 oz citra hops at 15 & 5

then i get to use my new refractometer that came in the mail today

Ok thanks, I'll probably just leave the recipe as is and steep the grains for 60 minutes.

If you have a one gallon apple juice bottle you could make a mini fermentor and add some cocoa to that.

Latest posts

Back