Partial Mash California Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetanothersteve

Reaction score
I based this off of John Palmer's No. 4 Shay Steam (which has an All grain and an Extract version, but I am trying to go the less documented middle road of the partial mash) Wondered if this looked ok to those with more experience.

For 5 gallons BIAB
Grain bill (all U.S. domestic):
2 Row - 3.5 lbs
CaraPils - 0.5 lbs
Crystal 40L - 0.75 lbs
Light DME - 3 lbs (half at start of boil, half at last 10 minutes)

Hops:
Northern Brewer - 1 oz. for 60 minutes
Northern Brewer - 0.5 oz. for 30 minutes
Northern Brewer - 0.5 oz. for 5 minutes

Yeast:
White Labs WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast

At 60% efficiency, QBrew calculated an OG of 1.048 and 1.053 at 75% efficiency. Both are within style.
Palmer had 1.5 oz. of NB for 60 and .5 oz. NB for 15 but that seemed a little too heavy up front to me and to QBrew in terms of bitterness, so I staggered it a bit more.

I was planning to leave in primary for 3 to 4 weeks before bottling. Probably 4 since I do not plan to use any finings. If weather holds, should be around 55F ambient in the garage.

The hop schedule looks fine. I usually throw in some Munich Malt in my partial Cali Commons. I say take a pound of 2-row out and replace it with some Munich Malt. And this is personal preference, but I think you'd be fine without the Carapils. At the very least I'd cut it half, but that's just me.

Looks fine. Good idea to back off on the bittering, since you're doing some the extract late.

Austin_. Thanks for the suggestion with the Munich Malt. Think I will make the decision at the LHBS after crunching a few of the CaraPils and the Munich Malt. Will probably go with the recipe as planned and try it differently next time if it is too much or not enough of "something."

The Clone Brews book uses this for the grains:
Crystal 80L - 14 oz.
2 row - 2.5lb.
Alexander's pale malt syrup - 4 lbs.
M&F Light DME - 0.75 lbs.

So there does seem to be a lot of different ways to do this beer, will have to do some more bottle based research of Anchor Steam to note what I like about it. It is the sort of beer I could drink every day.

I ended up going with 4 oz. or CaraPils and 4 oz. of Munich Malt. Split the difference.
The DME I can get for $10 for 3 lb. is Briess Golden light, which already has some CaraPils in it, according to the Briess web site.

Will find out in 7 weeks.

Thinking of brewing this as well. Just a note that in the HTB book (2006) he has 1 oz NB @ 60 min & 1 oz NB @ 15 min.

Adding DME late when doing a partial boil should cut down on some of the harshness or "twang" of the extract boiling in a concentrated wort. Will also help avoid caramelizing the wort if it is too concentrated. That is the theory anyway.

Back