Pappy`s Pub Cider - Award Winner!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paps

Reaction score
5 gals of tree top apple juice (sometimes Motts if the store is out of tree top)
10 LBS table sugar (wal mart brand cheap stuff)
1 packet Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
1 tablespoon yeast nutrient (wyeast beer nutrient blend)

No rocket science here, just dump everything in the carboy and let the champagne yeast do it's thing.Primary till all bubbling of the air lock stops then wait a week.After the week is up rack to 2ndary (optional)
I used "super-kleer K.C."{kieselsol-chitosan} in 2ndary (optional) to clear the cider and the stuff is amazing.Cold crash in the freezer for an hour and bottle.

Do not attempt to drive,operate heavy machinery,or anything requiring coordination or basic motor skills after drinking this.

Cheers.

Here is a pic of a batch going.

pappys pub cider fermentating.jpg

I just started a batch of this last night. The primary is going strong and I will check back in when I transfer to the secondary.

Basicly the same recipe I've used several times now... great stuff, and YES you will get SMASHED! I figger ABV should be around 14 or so, maybe better.

Should I worry about putting a blowoff tube on if I am using a 5 gallon bucket? And I don;t have any yeast nutrient, so should I just throw in 2 packets of Lalvin EC1118?

even without nutrient 1 packet is enough, the yeast will multiply in the first 48 hrs assuming they get oxygen for the first 24.
If you don't have nutrient, use a bananna peel n all. what u wanna do is cut the butt stem off then slice the whole 'nanna into pennies. 1 'nnana per gallon. They will provide sufficient nutrient and will leave any flavor. use the ones that have a few black spots on the peel. I have an "ale pale" it has the small hole in the lid for an airlock. I put a empty airlock on and swirl the bucket 2 or 3 times a day for first two days, and gently push down on the lid and hold a second or so then release, that will exchange some air for the yeast to get oxygen.

Should I worry about putting a blowoff tube on if I am using a 5 gallon bucket? And I don;t have any yeast nutrient, so should I just throw in 2 packets of Lalvin EC1118?

Cider doesn't get as foamy as all grain beer does but i do use my 6.5 gallon glass carboy for this recipe.I don't see it being physically possible to get 5 gallons of apple juice AND 10 lbs of sugar in a 5 gallon carboy/bucket.
However you could just do 4 gallons juice to 8 lbs sugar and have room for everything.

If you do not have yeast nutrient you can get a cheap box of raisins (prefferably organic and no preservatives) and throw them in the carboy and they will suffice.Doing this you will only need 1 packet of yeast.

I added powdered once,ONCE .
It did not go well.........Don't do powder.
The sticks sound like a good addition to 2ndary but i've yet to use them myself.
Perhaps on the batch i start on monday.
I'll post results if i do.

Has anyone ever added cinnamon sticks to this recipe. Just wondering about the flavor difference if you have.

I think I'm going to in secondary. I just started my 5 gal batch and it's bubbling away nicely. I was wondering, is it going to finish way too dry and "rocket fuely" to drink a couple weeks after its done? If it is, do I back sweeten or let it age, and how long to age if I need to age it?

I've only made mead so far and had a question. When making cider do I need to degas for the first several days or do I just leave it alone and let it do its thing. In other words, does it need to be oxygen mixed in like mead does.

I was wondering, is it going to finish way too dry and "rocket fuely" to drink a couple weeks after its done? If it is, do I back sweeten or let it age, and how long to age if I need to age it?

champagne yeast can supposedly hit 20% ABV.
2LBS of table sugar per gallon is more than the yeast can conert to sugar so there is residual sweetness left when it is done fermenting.
( read that as "don't back sweeten" )

aging is a matter of personal prefference.
the rocket fuely or `hotness` as some call it decreases with age.
it is much better imho serverd COLD and ice cubes work well if you have no means of chilling this.
Best to make a huge amount of it and let some age while drinking on the rest of it.
let your tastebuds be your guide.
You may like it better aged for 3 months,you might not like it any better.
There's only 1 way to find out.:mug:

I've only made mead so far and had a question. When making cider do I need to degas for the first several days or do I just leave it alone and let it do its thing. In other words, does it need to be oxygen mixed in like mead does.

When i make this i pour the juice into the glass carboy using a small funnel, making sure to sloppily allow air to mix in with it.Be sure to completely dry the funnel before pouring the sugar in or you end up with a mess.Once everything is in the carboy i manually shake it by hand for a minute or until i get tired of shaking it. Beyond that i leave it alone and RDWHAHB

2LBS of table sugar per gallon is more than the yeast can conert to sugar so there is residual sweetness left when it is done fermenting.

it is much better imho serverd COLD and ice cubes work well if you have no means of chilling this.
Best to make a huge amount of it and let some age while drinking on the rest of it.

True that. :mug: This is my first "real batch" after just throwing some yeast in cider with an airlock on it, but im making a little over 5 gallons. I should have enough to have a couple every week or two to see how it develops over time. Thanks!

Also, I was just wondering cause i tasted my first batch last night and it was pretty bad, but its probably because it hasn't even been two weeks and I'm just making the typical noob mistake of no patience.

EC 1118 and premier cuvee can handle up to 18% .... I started a batch of pomegranate/blueberry, using 3 cans concentrate... according to my hydrometer 2lbs/ gal registered 1.140 SG ... right above 18% on the potental alc scale. I used Pasteur Champagne which I believe will tolerate 16%. Last I checked it was down to 1.010 or so. :rockin:

Pretty much ALL fermentations need oxygen at the start, the yeast needs it to multiply. As far as degassing, I've successfully made about 20 gallons of "cider" it's actually apple wine by the time the amounts of sugar we're talking about are consumed but no, I haven't degassed any of it, nor noticed any gaseous expulsions but maybe a few bubbles when the carboy is disturbed. This after 7-10 days in primary and 42 days in secondary, reracking each 21 days. I made 2 bottles out of 20 gallons, 1 dry 1 sweet. The dry aged 3 mos and was pretty good. Haven't cracked open the sweet yet, it's only 1 mo old.

Has anyone kegged this recipe? Did you kill the yeast first or just cold crash it after it fermented all the way? I am worried about filling up a bottle or two for a friend and have her leave it out....

Bottle bombs are a concern for any brew. The solution is to let fermentation finish before you even THINK about bottling. I let everything sit for at least a month before bottling. Dont use any priming sugar at all. I am drinking this right now from keg on beergas (nitrogen/co2)
I'm only on my 2nd glass so i can still type...for now.

So I racked to secondary after two weeks and it seemed like it'll turn out good!
It was still a little sweet at 1.04 but it seems like it was still fermenting a bit. Also, it was VERY alcoholic. Will that mellow out a bit if I let it sit for a few weeks/ a month? Sorry im a little new to this still. Also, I added 2 cinnamon stick so we'll see what that adds!

Yes it mellows with aging. It retains sweetness due to the massive amounts of sugar added into it. The buzz will sneak up on ya so don't try to quaf this like a session beer or you wont make it to work on time the next day.(if at all).
Let us know how the sticks make it taste. :)

I LOVED this recipe the first time (used the Lalvin yeast, 4 gallons Motts apple juice, and 8 lb Kroger Value sugar). It was really potent (the math said 11.6% abv, but I have reason to believe that value is low), but had almost too much sweetness remaining. This time, I am adding a cinnamon stick to the brew, after 5 days of fermentation to ensure that anything on the cinnamon stick is killed by the alcohol. Interestingly enough, the stick floats and seems to indicate "self stirring". The fermentation is robust enough to actually induce a circulation within the glass carboy. I will post the final results; I have really high hopes for this batch.

Dumb questions:

Can I bottle this? I think I understood that I can but I am not to add any priming sugar, right?
Will it carb up in a bottle if I let it sit in the primary for 14 days and secondary for another 14?
Do I need to ferment at any certain temp? Is it like fermenting beer?
If I cannot find tree top AJ, can I use some other unfiltered juice?

I personally let it sit in primary for at least a month. If i could edit the 1rst post i would change primary time to 30+ days. I keg nowadays but this will carb up in bottles. It allready has a pretty hefty amount of sugar so no need to add anymore for priming. Bottle bombs are a concern so don't rush things. Room temp fermentation is just fine for this however if you have the means to and choose to ferment cooler then feel free to do so. Yes the basic principles are the same as with beer just let the yeast do their thing. "Tree Top" is sold at wal-marts but if you can't find it try the "Motts" namebrand of juice.(Target sells it)
-Cheers

I have tried this recipe three times, each a different version. My first was the recipe as written, the second was with cinnamon sticks, and the third was with the addition of some ginger crystals. I had to scale the batches down to fit a 5 gallon carboy. For this amount, I use 4 gallons of Mott's (I can't find tree top around here, I am in Columbus Ohio), 8 lbs of sugar (Kroger Value), and the Lalvin yeast packet.

If you want to add cinnamon, I found that 6 sticks was perfect for this batch size. Make sure to add them about 4 days in. This will allow the ambient alcohol content to rise high enough so that you don't have to "sanitize" the sticks themselves.

I am bottling the ginger recipe tonight, it is pretty delicious. I added "Prince of Peace Honey Crystals", (4 packets). I will of course give an update once I have time to try it.

Just got done racking a version with 3 cinnamon sticks in 2ndary.
Even uncarbed and room temp warm the stuff is great.
This batch got a month plus in primary and a month in 2ndary with the sticks.
More mellow than the stock recipe and it finished out at 1.020 so still plenty sweet.
-Cheers.

what about leaving out the added sugar wont the apple be sweet enough ???????????/

That really is a matter of personal prefference but i have done this recipe without adding the sugar at all and the yeast this recipe calls for makes it more dry than the sahara desert.

If you wanted to skip the sugar i would use a different yeast like nottingham/windsor or safale so4/5 or if you have liquid yeasts available to you then you have even more options.

I generally stick to dry yeast because i have to have everything shipped in and during the hot summer months here in new mexico theres like zero chance of a liquid yeast surviving the road trip.

Hello, fairly new to brewing and I'm going to try this recipe very soon. I was wondering, after the cider is bottled does it need to be in a certain temp range or refrigerated or can I just let it carb in the bottles next to my beer bottles at room temp? Also is the secondary necessary if I don't plan to add anything after fermenting. Would a few months in primary be too much for cider? Thanks!

can I just let it carb in the bottles next to my beer bottles at room temp?!
Yes.
Look up "bottle bombs" and make sure not to make any.

Would a few months in primary be too much for cider?
No.
I personally let EVERYTHING i brew sit in primary for at least a month to give the yeast time enough to clean up after itself (diacetyl).
Autolysis (spelling) isn't a concern imho till 5 months plus on a yeast cake.
2-3 months primary will be just fine.
Hope this helped you out.
-cheers

Unfiltered apple cider, pasteurized, can i use that in place of the motts? We don't have tree top n I like the cider better on its own

Sure thing! Update: on Tuesday night 10/8 I got everything into my carboy (used 4 gal cider, 8lbs sugar, ec-1118 yeast, and the yeast nutrient recommended at my lhbs(it was not the one recommended here but he said It's what he always uses and I've heard he's pretty trustworthy)). Anyway, checked on it before I went to work about 8 hours later and it was already bubbling about once every 10 seconds. Tonight the bubbles are less than 1 second apart and I can see lots of activity through the glass. Also, the gas coming from the airlock smells like apple and alcohol, not too strong but very apparent. Going smoothly so far!

I LOVED this recipe the first time (used the Lalvin yeast, 4 gallons Motts apple juice, and 8 lb Kroger Value sugar). It was really potent (the math said 11.6% abv, but I have reason to believe that value is low).

I think the math on the OP sized batch the sugar alone makes 14% ABV so then on top of that compare a gravity reading of the juice itself BEFORE adding sugar to the final gravity reading....For arguments sake lets say those readings come to 4% ABV...leads me to beleive you'd add the two together to get the whole batches ABV (14%+4%=18% ABV) I feel kinda dumb for not thinking of this method sooner.

I think the math on the OP sized batch the sugar alone makes 14% ABV so then on top of that compare a gravity reading of the juice itself BEFORE adding sugar to the final gravity reading....For arguments sake lets say those readings come to 4% ABV...leads me to beleive you'd add the two together to get the whole batches ABV (14%+4%=18% ABV) I feel kinda dumb for not thinking of this method sooner.

I read up on the specific Lalvin strain of yeast, it is supposed to die around 18% ABV. I am on my 4th batch of the stuff (all my friends and family RAVE about it), and the yeast has died on each. An additional step that I might recommend is to mix in 4 or 5 cans of apple juice concentrate in the bottling bucket, just to give even more appley flavor without dropping the ABV by much.

just kegged my version and it came out amazing:

5 gallons topps applejuice
2.5# table sugar (added 2.5# every 3 days until all 10# are added (stirred every addition))
1 tblspn yeast nutrient
2 vials WLP775 English Cider
after 3 weeks i racked to secondary for 1 week and then cold crashed for 1 day and kegged.
AMAZING RECIPE! thank you PAPS!

Back