Simple Kegged Chai Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my wife does not like beer. I have successfully made a pomegranate/ Apple cider she likes. We were eating breakfast at First Watch and they offered a pear/apple chai cider (non alcoholic)

She requested an alcoholic version and somehow I succeeded on my first try. we have gone through 2 batches and it was very popular with friends visiting over the holidays.

Like the Pom/Apple cider the goal was to be able to buy all of the ingredients at Kroger’s. The Treetop Apple juice is pasteurized and the canned pears do not have any preservatives.

this recipe yields enough to fill a 1.5 gallon keg. The starting volume in the fermenter is closer to 1.75-2 gallons but there are lots of floating pear chunks that decrease my final yield.

0.5 Gallons Tree Top 100% pure pressed 3 Apple Blend
0.5 Gallons Tree Top 100% pure pressed Honeycrisp
4 15oz cans of sliced pears (just make sure there are no preservatives)
2 cups of water
0.5 cups dark brown sugar
1.5 tsp DAP yeast nutrient

purée the pears with a blender and add to the fermenter with the juices.

dissolve the brown sugar in the water (I do this in the microwave heating the water just enough to dissolve the brown sugar)

combine everything and ferment with a champagne yeast like EC-1118

The puréed pears make this very turbid with a lot of “chunks” that float to the top of the fermenter. I ferment in a better bottle with a spigot so I drain the cider into my keg and stop before the floating chunks get into the keg. I have also used a racking cane with a hop sock and racked under the floating chunks.

I do not fine as I wanted something that was turbid like a fresh pressed cider.

Once racked to the keg I add the following.
375ml simple syrup
3/4 tsp Potassium Sorbate (to arrest the fermentation)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp ground ginger

I was nervous about just adding ground spices directly into the keg but so far on the two batches I have Kegged there has not been a problem. The first couple pours sometimes have some spice bits but after that everything is good until the last pour. The flavor remains and since it has worked so far I’m not interested in changing to something like whole spices or using a spice ball etc. etc.

Everyone always comments that this would be great as a warm drink.

3329B720-82DE-45DE-BAC1-00446793E18E.jpeg
46428206-1781-45B2-A42F-6E7B4EEC1239.jpeg

Sounds & looks great!

As I'm a KISS cider maker -- this got me thinking about adding chai concentrate or chai tea bags Post fermentation to my base cider. The former would add sugar too, the latter not. Hmmmm [emoji6]

Now on my to try list.....

Cheers [emoji111]

Forgot the pic...[emoji41]

View attachment 663448

So I have never used tea to infuse flavor into beer or cider but I’m sure that would work great. The tea companies have spent the time to make their product produce consistent results. I have a friend that uses flavored teas (I think it was watermelon or hibiscus tea) in her wheat beers.

Next time I'm putting the pear in a bag, it made a terrible mess on the bottom... this is after siphoning off the junk in the primary and running though a screen. I hope I didn't oxidize it too much.

20220527_082727.jpg

Next time I'm putting the pear in a bag, it made a terrible mess on the bottom.

If I am adding fruit, I always do my primary in a bucket and put the fruit in a nylon mesh bag. It's much easier to manage the fruit that way. With fresh pears, I freeze them and then thaw and mash with a potato masher. If you do this the pears will practically fall apart. With canned pears you can probably just mash them. If you make a purée in the blender it is more difficult to get it to clear. Always add pectic enzyme at the beginning to help with clearing the pectin.

Back