Pappys Pub Cider.. Yeast options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankdontsurf

Reaction score
If I follow the recipe exactly with the Lalvin EC-1118 yeast what will the cider be like? It says pub cider, but most "pub ciders" around my way are pretty much average ABV.

What would happen if I used say my Hefeweizen yeast?

What about if I happen to use Nottingham?

I've never made this, but if i'm going to make 5 gallons of it I want to sort of have an idea of which yeast to pick.

ec-1118 goes to about 17% and then dies out. Nottingham's alcohol tolerance is about 12%. After those percentages, the yeast will die and will not ferment anymore. If you were to use notti, with that much sugar you'd be left with such a sweet drink, it would be too sweet (and I like sweet) WAY to sweet. With EC-1118 you should end up with about 1.02 FG (or less) which is still sweet!

If you had your heart set on nottingham you could use less sugar and try to hit the 12% mark but paps recipe is great. I wouldn't want to change it.

If I follow the recipe exactly with the Lalvin EC-1118 yeast what will the cider be like? It says pub cider, but most "pub ciders" around my way are pretty much average ABV.

What would happen if I used say my Hefeweizen yeast?

What about if I happen to use Nottingham?

I've never made this, but if i'm going to make 5 gallons of it I want to sort of have an idea of which yeast to pick.

I used S-189 on my last cider. I used Munton's on last years batch. You can use pretty much any yeast you like for an average ABV cider.

You cannot use any yeast you like with this recipe. With so much sugar you need a yeast which will attain around 18% abv. Any yeast which attains less will leave you with a super sugary drink that you will have to dilute to be able to drink.

Keep in mind this is more of a wine recipe than an actual cider recipe (by alcohol content anyways).

You cannot use any yeast you like with this recipe. With so much sugar you need a yeast which will attain around 18% abv. Any yeast which attains less will leave you with a super sugary drink that you will have to dilute to be able to drink.

Keep in mind this is more of a wine recipe than an actual cider recipe (by alcohol content anyways).

I enjoy Strongbow but not White wine. Should do the recipe as intended?

Back