Pale Ale Still Fermenting After Two Weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffceo24

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I brewed a pale ale (LME extract kit) about 15 days ago. Pitched Safale 05 yeast at around 70-75 degrees. Fermentation started within 12 hours or less. Bubbled quite a bit for the first week or so. Now it has been in the fermentor for 15 days at a consistent room temperature of 63-64 degrees. I was going to bottle this past weekend but I am still getting bubbles every 5 minutes or so. Is this the yeast "cleaning up" or is it still fermenting since it has been at a relatively cool temp in the low 60's? Thank you

The only way to tell if its done is with a stable gravity reading over a few day time span. As you'll soon see there are tons of posts about airlock bubbles not meaning fermentation or lack of.

Airlock bubbles only tell you that there is an exchange of gas. The end of fermentation is verified by using a hydrometer, sampling one day, then again 2 days later. Matching readings that are near where the final gravity should be confirms that the beer is ready to bottle.

Your beer absorbs a lot of CO2 during the ferment and it can be releasing it for a long time afterward. That is probably why you still see bubbles in the airlock.

Check with a hydrometer. US-05 should finish 1.010-1.015 range. As VGM and RM stated you can take a few samples over a few days and if it stays the same it's done.

Don't pour the sample back.... drink it!

Back