Pale ale recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
So Sprye by Madtree Brewery in Cincinnati has became my new obsession. Plus they are awesome enough to post the recipe for every beer they make on their website! That only means one thing... Clone time. Here it is.

Sprye
10-A American Pale Ale
Size: 5.0 gal Efficiency: 90.0% Attenuation: 86.0%
!
Original Gravity: 1.044 Terminal Gravity: 1.006 Color: 6.01
Alcohol: 4.97% Bitterness: 38.0
Ingredients:
5.07 lb (71.4%) 2-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash 0.41 lb (5.7%) Rye Malt - added during mash
0.17 lb (2.4%) Barley Flakes - added during mash
1.16 lb (16.3%) Munich 10L Malt - added during mash 0.29 lb (4.1%) Melanoidin Malt - added during mash
0.4 oz (10.3%) Galena (13.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m 0.37 oz (9.6%) Centennial (9.2%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m 0.31 oz (8.1%) Chinook (10.6%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m 1.3 g Yeastex - added during boil, boiled 15 m
1.0 g Break Brite - added during boil, boiled 10 m
0.31 oz (8.0%) Centennial (9.2%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 m 0.35 oz (9.0%) Chinook (10.6%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 m 0.13 lb (54.9%) Simcoe (12.8%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Here are my questions
1. I don't think I can hit 90% efficiency in my ghetto igloo cooler. How much 2 row should I add to compensate for around 80%?
2. What should my mash temps be?
3. Do the hop additions sound correct? I know it's off the site of the guys that make it, but it's only about 1oz total plus dry hopping. It just seems low.

1. How bent would you be if you didn't hit the exact OG as their recipe calls for? I'd WAG it and add a pound of 2 row and 4 more ounces of Munich 10L.
2. To get that high of attenuation you need a very fermentable wort. I would expect you to get that with a mash temp between 148 and 150.
3. Use some brewing software like http://www.brewersfriend.com/ and input the recipe. It will calculate the IBU's for you and you can adjust the boil hop amount and/or variety to get the IBU's you want. Caution: Some hops are pretty neutral when used for bittering while others will carry through some flavor to the final beer. I use Nugget or Magnum but there are a bunch of others to choose from.
4. I have not heard of BreakBrite you might not need it if you have patience enough to let the beer settle clear in the bottles or keg. I think BreakBrite would let you serve the beer quicker. Irish Moss might be a good enough substitute.

Latest posts

Back