Pale ale grist critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djangotet

Reaction score
Hey,

I am planning to make a pale ale this weekend and I was aiming for a nice red color. I am still relatively new, I came up with this grist and I was wondering what others thought about it since I have never used these grains. I plan to use a single hop on this one but i'm not sure which yet since i'm not sure if I need to think about the grain flavor when choosing the hop. Thanks!

ABV: 6.58
OG: 1.06
FG 1.010

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 6.56.02 PM.png

That's a lot of acid malt. What is your water like?

You're using German malts and probably paying a premium for them. Either use German hops (Perle, Tettnang, Tradition, etc), or Saaz, or one of the American varieties that kind of taste and smell like noble hops. (Mt Hood, Liberty, Crystal, Sterling, and a few others) Just my opinion.

Is this a 5 gallon batch? (looks like 5 gallons) What yeast are you using?

That's a lot of acid malt. What is your water like?

You're using German malts and probably paying a premium for them. Either use German hops (Perle, Tettnang, Tradition, etc), or Saaz, or one of the American varieties that kind of taste and smell like noble hops. (Mt Hood, Liberty, Crystal, Sterling, and a few others) Just my opinion.

Is this a 5 gallon batch? (looks like 5 gallons) What yeast are you using?
1. I build up my water from distilled.
2. I plan to use magnum/ huell melon
3. This is a 4.5 gallon batch which I am going to pressure ferment with w-34/70. I know that yeast is not traditional for a “pale ale” but I’m gonna try it.

I actually adjusted my acid amount because I didn’t calculate for my salts yet, so yes there will be less acid malt (3oz/ 2%) with a PH of 5.2. Basically will be my rendition of a German pale ale, not style specific.

My concept for it was a nice red or even rose colored beer with a refreshing strawberry/ melon hop aroma. Just nice and refreshing.

Is there a reason it’s so big? Most pale ales are closer to 5%. You’re in IPA territory. It’s fine if that’s what you want, but I wouldn’t call it a pale ale.

Is there a reason it’s so big. Most pale ales are closer to 5%. You’re in IPA territory. It’s fine if that’s what you want, but I wouldn’t call it a pale ale.
Yes, the reason is that I’m a noob and I don’t know better. Good idea, I will reduce the grain amount!

That should get you much closer.

z-bob kinda mentioned it, but is there a reason you’re going with German ingredients? It’s not bad or wrong, but it might not be exactly what you are after, flavor-wise.

A traditional APA would sub the Pilsner for regular 2-row pale malt, and regular crystal 40 for the cara-Munich. Not a big deal. I’m actually curious what this might taste like as a pale ale.

That should get you much closer.

z-bob kinda mentioned it, but is there a reason you’re going with German ingredients? It’s not bad or wrong, but it might not be exactly what you are after, flavor-wise.

A traditional APA would sub the Pilsner for regular 2-row pale malt, and regular crystal 40 for the cara-Munich. Not a big deal. I’m actually curious what this might taste like as a pale ale.
Well originally I wanted something red because I thought it would be interesting and beautiful to look at. I started with red x and as I was building it I kind of just started going with the German theme. Might be more expensive but I’m totally curious as to how it will taste. So basically curiosity.

If an APA, then I don't think red is a desirable color.

With your malts, I don't think you are going for a APA though. Do you know which type of pale ale you are aiming for? Or is just beer what you are after?

If an APA, then I don't think red is a desirable color.

With your malts, I don't think you are going for a APA though. Do you know which type of pale ale you are aiming for? Or is just beer what you are after?
Not anything style specific, I’m calling it a German pale ale but it’s more of an experiment. As long as it will taste good then I’ll be stoked.

If it's the red color you're going for, and you're experimenting anyway, why not use the grain bill from the Raging Irish Red recipe and just change up the yeast and hops to fit your pale ale idea. I brew this recipe often and the red color looks beautiful. Tastes wonderful too, in fact I have some cold crashing now.

Back