Painfully Newb Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edie

Reaction score
finally got the cider to start fermentation about a week and a half ago. i think! what happens next? was going to just leave it fermenting at 70* in the primary until a couple of weeks before c.mas then carb and see what i've got. sound like a plan?

let me be more specific - any feedback on said plan?

is my question too vague? i'm wondering if there is something else that i'm going to have to do other than leave it alone and then carb and serve?

Edie,

What was the recipe you used? If it's basic there really isn't anything you need to do, other than age it for a long as you can stand not to drink it.

Let me know and I'll give you more precise feedback.

Cheers,
The Doctor

Edie,

What was the recipe you used? If it's basic there really isn't anything you need to do, other than age it for a long as you can stand not to drink it.

Let me know and I'll give you more precise feedback.

Cheers,
The Doctor

thanks for the response. 5 gallons of apple juice and made a starter with red star champagne yeast. ended up having to sprinkle another dry package of the same yeast to get fermentation going. had planned, was hoping, to have ready by c.mas.

thanks again for your input.

thanks for the response. 5 gallons of apple juice and made a starter with red star champagne yeast. ended up having to sprinkle another dry package of the same yeast to get fermentation going. had planned, was hoping, to have ready by c.mas.

thanks again for your input.

You'll end up with a dry cider with 0 remaining sugar. Is that what you want?

There are plenty of people that like that. Including me! It will be a little bit young for a cider, and might have a tiny bit of undesirable yeast characteristics, but other than that, it will be fine.

To mirror what LVBen said, Red Star (perhaps Montrachet, that's what I use) yeast will finish completely dry, around .990, which for most people who are just starting in cider is a bit too dry. You will end up almost with a apple white wine. Not that this is a bad thing.

I will tell you from my experience that this type of cider just gets better and better with age. I just had a bottle that was 7 months old and it was delicious, dry and just a hint of sour apple flavor that was very distinguished. Will your's taste like that by Christmas? No, but you will be able to drink some, just make sure to save some to compare down the road.

And if you do want a sweeter cider, look into back sweetening using the search feature...Tons of info there!

Enjoy!

Basic cider is "let it go til it dont go no mo."

Call that your starting point- it will be dry and still. Now, where do you want to go? Sweeter? Sparkling? Simpler taste, but faster?

I say, let it go til it dont go no mo.. see how you like it... pick a direction. It's a very personal journey :)

(I swear, somebody smarter than me oughta write a book called "do I really need...." and talk about how all these things we can do with brew change it in relation to dry and still product. It'd make sense, and millions of dollars!)

Basic cider is "let it go til it dont go no mo."

Call that your starting point- it will be dry and still. Now, where do you want to go? Sweeter? Sparkling? Simpler taste, but faster?

I say, let it go til it dont go no mo.. see how you like it... pick a direction. It's a very personal journey :)

(I swear, somebody smarter than me oughta write a book called "do I really need...." and talk about how all these things we can do with brew change it in relation to dry and still product. It'd make sense, and millions of dollars!)

i'm thinking that we're just going to give it time and give it a taste a little closer to the holidays and see where we're at.

thanks very much for the input.

Back