PAA (Pineapple apple apple)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry it has been so long since I got back on here. I won't make excuses.

Glad everyone has liked it so much. It's a constant in my fridge. I had to buy more fermenters to keep the brew rotation going while still being able to brew other beers. I've brought bottles to many Homebrew clubs and microbreweries and they've been met with rave reviews. I'm currently in negotiations with a local brewery to have this made in to a 20 barrel limited release.

Cheers!

Since creating this recipe I've refined it.

4 gallons of apple juice
1 gallon pineapple juice
¼ tsp ground clove
7oz molasses
18 oz cover or orange blossom honey

Heat 1 gallon of apple juice, DO NOT BOIL. Combine honey and molasses in hot juice.
While waiting for juice to heat combine apple juice, pineapple juice and clove in a fermenter.
Once the honey and molasses are thoroughly combined, pour juice/honey/molasses mixture in to the fermenter.
Crush 5 Camden tabs and add to the juice. Cover with a towel and let it sit for a day.
O.G. Should be about 1.065.
Make a year starter with Safale S-O4 and pitch. Leave in primary for 10 days then rack to secondary. Gravity should be about 1.022
Leave in secondary for a month then rack again. Gravity should be 1.000.

At this point you can bottle it as a still dry cider or you can back sweeten for a medium sweet carbonated cider.
I use 6 cups brown sugar added to 12 ounces hot water.

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE: If you re-sweeten for carbonation you have to pasteurize the bottles so they don't explode.

So trying out this recipe. Went with 1/8 tap of the clover and followed the rest. Let it set for right a 24 hours and my OG was 1.060. So not sure why it wasn’t on target.

Just got done pitching S-04 and had to add a blow off. Only because I used to small a carboy. This is only my second batch. 1st batch still fermenting, a pale ale.

Will post more as it progresses. Thanks for the recipe.

Attachments

• 6BE73228-AE23-4D13-B777-9E8F77F66F2C.jpeg
    6BE73228-AE23-4D13-B777-9E8F77F66F2C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 6F676B20-E9B6-4725-8BD1-5A4F86076BBF.jpeg
    6F676B20-E9B6-4725-8BD1-5A4F86076BBF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Since creating this recipe I've refined it.

4 gallons of apple juice
1 gallon pineapple juice
¼ tsp ground clove
7oz molasses
18 oz cover or orange blossom honey

Heat 1 gallon of apple juice, DO NOT BOIL. Combine honey and molasses in hot juice.
While waiting for juice to heat combine apple juice, pineapple juice and clove in a fermenter.
Once the honey and molasses are thoroughly combined, pour juice/honey/molasses mixture in to the fermenter.
Crush 5 Camden tabs and add to the juice. Cover with a towel and let it sit for a day.
O.G. Should be about 1.065.
Make a year starter with Safale S-O4 and pitch. Leave in primary for 10 days then rack to secondary. Gravity should be about 1.022
Leave in secondary for a month then rack again. Gravity should be 1.000.

At this point you can bottle it as a still dry cider or you can back sweeten for a medium sweet carbonated cider.
I use 6 cups brown sugar added to 12 ounces hot water.

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE: If you re-sweeten for carbonation you have to pasteurize the bottles so they don't explode.

curious why S-04 yeast was used for this recipe? Right now I have a batch going following the above directions and got serious “Rhino Farts” going on. Hoping the rack to a secondary helps get rid of any sulfar.

Add some nutrients. What temp are you fermenting at? I do mine at72°F and find that S05 works better at that temp. S04 gave me lots of sulphur. Assuming it not too late to add nutrients.

I was really interested in the pineapple over everything else, so I kept it simple:

12 oz pineapple juice
0.4# brown sugar
pinch of nutrient
pectic enzyme (appropriate amt for 1 gal)
Notty for the yeast

Primary was done in about four weeks. IIRC, I ended up letting it sit a couple more weeks just because I couldn't find time to bottle. BUT when time presented itself I bottled with FAJC to taste (my taste testers like their ciders SWEET) and let it carb.

I normally pasteurize, but I just put it in the fridge and it was gone in NO time, so no worries there.

I'm intrigued to try molasses: I use so much brown sugar in my cider I'd be interested to see what really kicking that flavor up would do. Cloves are just SO potent, and I've had recipes (cooking, not brewing) get ruined by the stuff, so I'm hesistant on that one.

But like I said, just playing it simple, this stuff is GOOD. The amount of pineapple kick that it gets from only a 10% pineapple juice addition is more than any other juice I've ever used.

I just bottled some cider using your version of the recipe, it came out great! I did not carbonate it or sweeten it after, but it was still good!

Back