Oxygenation Stone Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace0005

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I couldn't find a thread about this.... so I apologize in advance if I missed it..... How long can I expect a .5 Micron oxygen aeration stone to last for?

How long can I expect a .5 Micron oxygen aeration stone to last for?

A stainless steel sintered stone? I'd say almost indefinitely, if you take care of it, i.e. don't get your skin oils on it, and clean/flush it immediately after use. Basically, keep it from getting clogged.

Do you guys use an oxygen flow meter to measure the amount of oxygen dispensed?

I have one, but I don't usually use it. Generally, I oxygenate for "X" seconds at "Y" PSI for a given volume, gravity and yeast type (ale/lager). But sometimes I will deviate from that, depending on goals for the batch. For example, hefeweizens get nothing and like it.

I have the stainless .5 “stone” with screw fittings, stainless wand & medical O2 bottle & regulator. Turn the reg up just until it starts to flow generously but not furiously; about 1 LPM. Stir with wand, stone near bottom for 1-2 min. Yeast book gives rough guide & confirms importance of pure O2. When I’m done I rinse, unscrew stone & drop it into a tiny jar of 100 proof whisky. Kills germs & food grade!

Thanks for all the feedback. Since I've upgraded to my 1/2 bbl system, I have not been paying any attention to yeast starters and oxygenation. Consequently, my last few brews have not fully fermented :smh:.

Thanks for all the feedback. Since I've upgraded to my 1/2 bbl system, I have not been paying any attention to yeast starters and oxygenation. Consequently, my last few brews have not fully fermented :smh:.

Oh..yeah..the bigger you go the more yeast health and starters and O2 matters. Hard to underpitch when you only need only need 200 billion cells just pictch a smack pack. Well now you need 600 billion or more better start stepping up starters or brew a 5 gallon batch.

Hello all, I couldn't find a thread about this.... so I apologize in advance if I missed it..... How long can I expect a .5 Micron oxygen aeration stone to last for?
I suggest a good boil as well. 5 minutes before you use it, 2 minute star-san bath, and it is good to go. I then boil again after use usually. An extra step, but i already have the pan of water ready to from before using it.

Latest posts

Back