Ringwood (WLP005) aeration thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econfused

Reaction score
I've seen some videos of ringwood using a fishtail system, as well as notes that it benefits from lots of oxygen/rousing. I was wondering about a continuous aeration with an aquarium pump for the first 12 hours or so, until active fermentation is visible. I've set up an aquarium pump through my lower sight-glass and an aeration stone and a check valve that worked very well to aerate. Anyone try this or have thoughts. I did a prolonged aeration with my recent Irish Ale yeast over a few hours post pitch and it didn't through as much sulfur/diacetyl as a prior version.

It’s more about rousing the highly flocculant top-cropping yeast and only done periodically during active fermentation to avoid any negative impacts from oxidation. I wouldn’t bother treating WLP005 this way, because it doesn’t behave anything like Ringwood yeast. Wyeast’s Ringwood strain is closer to the actual brewery’s yeast.

Just got back from england and had some cask ale that still uses the victorian era double-dropped fermentation method where they drop the wort at 12-16 hours from one fermenter to another. Might try to recreate that one.

Back