Overshot OG - BIAB Help & Software Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGEduardo

Reaction score
I just ran through my 2nd AG BIAB batch and still have some dialing in to do apparently. My first batch was a Mexican Vienna Lager and I undershot OG by 4 points - no biggie because it tastes great so far. This batch however I totally overshot OG - 1.073 instead of 1.065 target!

Two Questions:

1 - I only had 1oz Columbus at 75min for bittering, should I try and fix it?

2 - Software suggestion for BIAB please! I'm using BIABACUS, but it's really an Excel hack versus a dedicated piece of software (although I am greatful for the free help it has provided thus far).

Background:

My issues lie with my grain mill adjustment. I went much tighter on this batch, but my feeler gauge is in the mail so I'm flying blind essentially. I'm using the cereal killer mill and have it set a "bit" over min. gap. I'll get this dialed in to the recommended setting and keep it there. I'm not looking for guidance there.

Here's my grain bill and hop schedule:
12.06lbs Pale two row - 75%
1.61lbs Vienna Malt - 10%
1.61lbs Crystal 80L - 10%
.8lbs Crystal 120L - 5%
Mashed at 150F for 90min.
Pulled bag at 170F on way to boil.

90 minute boil
1oz Columbus at 75min
.5oz Citra at 10min
.5oz Simcoe at 10min
1oz Cascade at 10min
.5oz Crystal at 10min
.5oz Crystal at flameout
1.5oz Cascade at flameout
Irish moss at 15min

Immersion chiller to pitch US-05 (2 packs rehydrated) at 75, fermenting at 65F in chamber now.

Planned dry hops:
2oz Cascade
.5oz Citra
.5oz Simcoe
.5oz Crystal

My Volume into kettle was 9.7gallons
My End of Boil Volume was 8.32gallons
OG was 1.073 vs. 1.065 targeted.

Am I good or should I try to add some bittering extract or something? I'm worried this will be too sweet without enough balance. I've got about 6.25gallons in my 6.5gallon carboy. Lots of trub though.

:drunk:

It looks like you were trying to make an American IPA (my assumption based on the grain bill). The difference in IBU's (per beersmith) from the 1.073 to 1.065 is only 3.2 with the lower SG being the higher one. That small of a difference would really be undetectable as long as the FG comes out similar. Both are right in the mid-high range (59.5 and 62.7) of the BJCP recommended range of 40-70 IBU's which is perfect per the book.

Of course no matter how it actually turned out, you made beer. And it will be good. RDWHAHB!

IMHO the best software is Beersmith. Yes it takes a little playing with to get everything dead on but once you do everything will be consistent every time. I used Brew Target but once I tried Beersmith I never looked back.

My inclination was Beersmith based on searching, but wanted a very targeted BIAB brewer opinion. Just don't want to plunk down cash for something that won't work great for me in the long run...

My inclination was Beersmith based on searching, but wanted a very targeted BIAB brewer opinion. Just don't want to plunk down cash for something that won't work great for me in the long run...

It can be set up for BIAB. Infact it has three Mash profiles for it. BIAB is all grain, no real difference besides the lack of a sparge( if your doing no sparge BIAB).

I just ran through my 2nd AG BIAB batch and still have some dialing in to do apparently. My first batch was a Mexican Vienna Lager and I undershot OG by 4 points - no biggie because it tastes great so far. This batch however I totally overshot OG - 1.073 instead of 1.065 target!

Two Questions:

1 - I only had 1oz Columbus at 75min for bittering, should I try and fix it?

2 - Software suggestion for BIAB please! I'm using BIABACUS, but it's really an Excel hack versus a dedicated piece of software (although I am greatful for the free help it has provided thus far).

Background:

My issues lie with my grain mill adjustment. I went much tighter on this batch, but my feeler gauge is in the mail so I'm flying blind essentially. I'm using the cereal killer mill and have it set a "bit" over min. gap. I'll get this dialed in to the recommended setting and keep it there. I'm not looking for guidance there.

Here's my grain bill and hop schedule:
12.06lbs Pale two row - 75%
1.61lbs Vienna Malt - 10%
1.61lbs Crystal 80L - 10%
.8lbs Crystal 120L - 5%
Mashed at 150F for 90min.
Pulled bag at 170F on way to boil.

90 minute boil
1oz Columbus at 75min
.5oz Citra at 10min
.5oz Simcoe at 10min
1oz Cascade at 10min
.5oz Crystal at 10min
.5oz Crystal at flameout
1.5oz Cascade at flameout
Irish moss at 15min

Immersion chiller to pitch US-05 (2 packs rehydrated) at 75, fermenting at 65F in chamber now.

Planned dry hops:
2oz Cascade
.5oz Citra
.5oz Simcoe
.5oz Crystal

My Volume into kettle was 9.7gallons
My End of Boil Volume was 8.32gallons
OG was 1.073 vs. 1.065 targeted.

Am I good or should I try to add some bittering extract or something? I'm worried this will be too sweet without enough balance. I've got about 6.25gallons in my 6.5gallon carboy. Lots of trub though.

:drunk:

A wise man once said "Relax... don't worry, and have a homebrew." In this case, I think this certainly something to keep in mind. As for your hopping schedule relative to your OG, I think you are fine. You should have plenty of bittering hops. The 10 minute additions are not going to impact that too much and if you really want to accentuate the floral hop flavor and aroma, you could dry hop it. Personally, I think you have plenty of hops, especially for a red ale. A slightly higher OG isn't going to impact that, particularly since your FG will dictate the malt/hops balance. What was your mash temp/pH?

I have used a couple of different BIAB specific programs/spreadsheets, but find that Brewer's Friend does a much better job. It's really a great way to go because it is easy to set up your equipment profile (for typical grain absorption, boil off rate, etc), and it works well for me for BIAB. It also has excellent calculations for getting strike water to the correct temp, salt/acid additions to the strike water, yeast calculators, etc. It's a wonderful program, and really helps to make brew days that much better. It's worth checking out, and you can do up to five recipes for free to try it out.

I mashed at 150F for 90 min. Although I was probably at 148 for the first 5 min after dough in due to striking too low.

Not sure about pH, I'm just using tap water and full volume BIAB no sparge.

A higher OG means that less alpha acids will be transferred to the wort, so you'll end up with higher ABV, lower IBU, but possibly an even more drinkable beer. Cheers!

Although it's android only, I recommend Wort very highly. Great phone or tablet based app with accurate calculations and recipe building for biab, 3v, and extract

A higher OG means that less alpha acids will be transferred to the wort, so you'll end up with higher ABV, lower IBU, but possibly an even more drinkable beer. Cheers!

Although it's android only, I recommend Wort very highly. Great phone or tablet based app with accurate calculations and recipe building for biab, 3v, and extract

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions - I'll look into those as well.

Back